Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Undergrad LSAT/GPA Inter-School Comparisons  (Read 2243 times)

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
Undergrad LSAT/GPA Inter-School Comparisons
« on: March 13, 2004, 05:17:39 PM »
Okay, so there's a lot of discussion on these boards about GPAs being comparable or not comparable between colleges and universities. Since we've got a lot of people on this site, with a little help from the LSAC, we can see grade trends and how they relate to LSAT scores. Is a 3.5 from an Ivy comparable to a 3.5 at a 3rd tier public? Let's find out.

If you check out the "Academic Summary Report" from the LSAC website (after you log-in, go to Account Status -> Transcripts and you'll see it there), it gives you information about all applicants from your undergrad granting institution within a few years of when you attended.

I'm not interested in the individual applicant (your) data, but the aggregate data from the schools. Let's do the top half (until you can add up the percents and come out greater than 50), to make it easier.

I went to a top 5 Liberal Arts College.

LSAT % distribution:
95+ : 30
90-94 : 17
85-89 : 12

This means that 30% of LSAT takers from this college scored 95th percentile or higher. 47% scored 90th percentile or higher, and we stop at the 85% percentile, which includes 59% of test takers from this institution.

GPA % distribution:
4+ : 0
3.8-3.99 : 3
3.6-3.79 : 15
3.4-3.59 : 22
3.2-3.39 : 21

GPA College Mean (under transcript analysis) : 3.25

As one can see, LSAT scores are high, but GPAs are fairly low, since almost twice as many people score higher than the 95th percentile than have a GPA greater than a 3.6.

Thanks for participating! If a lot of people post this data, I think we can learn a lot about relative grade inflation, or the lack thereof. Right now, I don't think it's necessary to post the actual school names, but if other people are interested, I wouldn't argue against it.

Louder Than Bombs

Re: Undergrad LSAT/GPA Inter-School Comparisons
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 08:47:22 PM »
I would post my school's information, but LSAC is updating their website and that info is temporarily unavailable...

Is your post correct - did 30% of people from your school actually score in the 95th percentile and above? That is extremely high, and seems a bit suspect...

Chris

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 12:29:17 AM »
Given that almost everyone at the school graduated at the top of their HS class, and the academics are rigorous beyond belief, it would stand to reason that the scores would be very high. It's a top 5 (USNews) national liberal arts college...

I'm hoping to get at least a few hundred replies, so I can maybe use the data to write an article when I make law review.  ;D So I promise you that I'm not fudging my own data.

Louder Than Bombs

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 11:56:25 AM »
OK, these stats are for Boston University, and are from the year 2000 (I believe - that's when I graduated)...

LSAT % Distribution:
95+ : 6
90-94 : 7
85-89 : 7

GPA % Distribution:
4.0+ : 0
3.8-3.99 : 3
3.6-3.79 : 10
3.4-3.59 : 16
3.2-3.39 : 17

GPA College Mean : 3.12

Chris

Findedeux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 02:45:58 PM »
You can already find this type of info at JD2B.com

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 08:58:37 PM »
I wasn't aware of that site; thanks. Though I have to admit I'm curious how they figure the lsat average, since no mean score is provided, just the percentile breakdowns in groupings of fives...