Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What sort of documentation is needed for your criminal history?  (Read 412 times)

patmycan

What sort of documentation is needed for your criminal history?
« on: September 17, 2007, 08:37:17 AM »
I have only received two alcohol violations within my state, but for the second one I received 14-days suspended jail time until my 22nd birthday. I'm not sure how big of a deal that is, but is there some sort of documentation I should provide in my addendum?

I blew a .01 BAC during one of the incidents and refused to admit, but was still charged and my second was a .07 BAC. While neither incidents involved a motor vehicle or any other crimes I still got a relatively harsh punishment due to the circumstances of that summer. Our city had four or five teens die of underage drinking and driving accidents and I feel the judge really turned into a hardass over the issue. Should any of these details be mentioned?

As always, Thanks.

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
Re: What sort of documentation is needed for your criminal history?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 09:38:13 AM »
I personally wouldn't comment on the harshness of the punishment you received.  Let them make their own judgements.  Honestly, I don't think the addcomms are really going to care about the punishment you received anyway.  They give very little weight to such matters from what I've heard....it's more about you coming clean with it and taking responsibility.

I have one violation I have to report.  I went to the courthouse and got a copy of the judgment (or whatever it is...it's the paper the Judge signed with my plea and sentence on it).  I'm including that as well as an addendum to tell the briefly what happened and how I will never do it again, bla, bla, bla.  It was nearly 10 years ago, I'm ticked I even have to mention it.  (I'm 29, BTW).
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

lsatarist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 11:33:52 AM »
I understand that you have to disclose your charges... aka speeding tickets, underage drinking,etc. However, do you actually have to send in the documentation, too? I have 3 speeding tickets and an underage drinking city ordinance from when i was 19 at college. Do I need to get the hard copies of such things AND send them in. Also, should I write an addendum?

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 05:34:05 PM »
In my experience if you need to send actual documentation depends on the school. For most schools my addendum was fine, for about 1/3 of the schools (and I applied to like 25 or something) I had to send in a report from the local court of the state I had arrests in showing they had nothing on me and that my cases were satisfied (from like 10 years ago). I donít think I had to send the actual arrest report (but I might for the bar, so if you have it, keep it on file).   For the one state far away I was able to send my dad plus a notarized letter saying he could retrieve my arrest records from the court, but I think you donít need to do that if you were over 18, should be public records that anyone there can pull for you.

I will say I was glad I did get everything I needed before hand, because it took a few weeks, and for the schools that asked for it I was able to send a copy that day, so my file did not remain open and undecided for weeks while I got everything. So my advice would be get what you can now, even if you don't need it later so there is not a delay and the class gets filled up while they wait for your stuff.

Great advice.  I agree that it depends on the school.  I'm applying to 4 schools.  One of them only requires an addendum describing the event(s), two require just any documentation, and one asks for something that specifically shows the ruling and sentence.

OP read that section carefully on the apps when you fill them out.  It will tell you what they want.  I also agree that you should try to get it together ASAP.  The courthouse had to pull my records from their archives so it took a week before I could get the paperwork;  no big deal unless you're busy or unless you are from a bigger county that might have more bureaucracy and therefore more hoops for you to jump through to get the documentation you need.
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.