Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2.7/160 ???where should I apply...  (Read 1110 times)

jfields32

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
2.7/160 ???where should I apply...
« on: September 17, 2007, 02:09:37 AM »
Yes im a URM(black dude), college athlete,and some other EC's...My GPA is a result of just not doing any work.

Im retaking it on the 29th and I hope to break 165. I think I can afford to apply to 10 schools plus I still have my fee waivers from last year...

Can any suggest some schools to apply too? Im trying to stay on the East Coast as well.

How is this very tentative list(I will modify if/when I raise my score)

St. Johns
Villanova
American
Temple
University of Miami(fee waiver)
Rutgers
Fordham
Univesity of Florida
Washington and Lee(fee waiver)
Howard

jfields32

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2.7/160 ???where should I apply...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 02:47:33 AM »
Yeah I feel the same way about Fordham...Its just that I really wnat to go to school in NYC but Im not sure if I wanna go to St. Johns if I can get into somewhere a little better..Would Cardozo be any better???

Im dont think I have a chance at Emory ot UNC...but I might apply..I grew up a HUGE UNC fan and have family down there. I also hear Emory is beautiful..

jfields32

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 03:01:21 AM »
thanks for the advice..Hopefully I can kick butt on the 29th so I can end up at a school I want to go to.

Also any1 know if last year's fee waivers are good for this year..I think they are but Im not sure.

wellpreserved

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 11:18:19 AM »
Jesus, into UVA with 14k a year with a 3.0/163 ... that is a little extreme... a couple points I can live with, but thats over 15 LSAT points below what a non URM would have to score to get into UVA and get similar scholarship offer.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=putour
White guy with 3.2/178 who got rejected.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Mahler
White guy with 3.1/173 who got rejected.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dcbk1981
White guy with 3.0/172 who got rejected.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=oscarsonthepond
White guy with 2.9/170 who got rejected.

Then by all means it would seem way past time for you to exercise the opposite of "living" with. May I suggest a flaming fork to the gut on the anniversary of Brown v. BOE for maximum political protest effect?
I tested between 151 and 162. I hoped for the high end and ended up in the middle. Still, not a bad plan overall, I think.

LSAT: 156 (not taking it again and you can't make me)
GPA: 3.4ish. Still a semester to go
URM, non-trad, 12 yrs work exp, published
Looking for low debt and high aid

jfields32

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 04:24:34 PM »
Seems this is a touchy subject...I just wanted help applying to schools. If being a URM helps at all, this might be the only place in life being black MIGHT has helped. I have had MANY situations where it has done the exact opposite.

I read these numbers and they are shocking. But no need for an AA debate.

Any1 have suggestions for schools??

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 06:39:58 PM »
May want to consider Seton Hall, their numbers are where you want them, and they have extremely bad diversity numbers this year, I read somewhere on the internet it was around 10%  Plus its close enough to new york to have internship opportunities, and far enough where you cant smell it.  I hear bad things about Fordham resulting from their price.   Rutgers- Newark has the same deal...high minority student base, almost at 40% (their website).  I think you can do better then Howard.  Temple is nice for ya.  I want to go to Villanova and St. Johns, so let me try to dissuade you there.  ;)

muharulz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 07:57:56 PM »
American may be a bad idea because it has a high black population (it was originally a colored university I believe) and your gpa might hurt you there.

i go to american for my masters degree and ive never heard that before. american was created after congress voted to create a national university in the late 1800s. it was molded from the methodist church, but today's American is not as affiliated with the Methodist church as it once was.

the law school, which i do not attend (i attend the school of public affairs) was created by two women and had a woman dean, which was a first for law i believe.

WCL is one of the most diverse law schools in the country though.

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 07:52:53 AM »
American may be a bad idea because it has a high black population (it was originally a colored university I believe) and your gpa might hurt you there.

i go to american for my masters degree and ive never heard that before. american was created after congress voted to create a national university in the late 1800s. it was molded from the methodist church, but today's American is not as affiliated with the Methodist church as it once was.

the law school, which i do not attend (i attend the school of public affairs) was created by two women and had a woman dean, which was a first for law i believe.

WCL is one of the most diverse law schools in the country though.

Your right, I was thinking of Howard

muharulz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 12:16:56 PM »
yeah, howard.

if youre interested in howard, lemme know. i live very close to howard and i can answer any questions about the area surrounding it as well as the area around american as well.

lollypotter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 03:57:40 PM »
I think you'd be fine for Howard but if you want the best advice you should post on BLSD
Homer & Bart: Lisa's going to Stanford, Lisa's going to Stanford...
Lisa: Take it back!
Homer:... Stanford!