Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Realistic to expect +5-7 point jump in last 10 days?  (Read 517 times)

killblues

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Realistic to expect +5-7 point jump in last 10 days?
« on: September 17, 2007, 12:18:44 AM »
Just a quick question.  Do you guys think it's realistic to get a +5-7 point jump in the last 10 days leading up to the test?

I've been scoring relatively ok for my last 7 or so preptests but today I took superprep preptest A (feb 97) and it whammed me straight in the gut.  I'm down to -3 or so total on LR, -1/-0 on RC, but that game section killed me.  -7 points.  Ouch.

I did the section again today but got it all right in 35 mins.  Wtf?  I think it was just mental endurance -- it was the 3rd section in the test, but LR + RC before hand probably killed my brain.  But I don't know...

Also, that was a frickin killer curve.  90/101 and a 169?  Good lord

What do you guys think?  Is it reasonable to expect a 174+ on the test still?  (I have whole period off from work before the test and am devoting the whole time to studying.  But still, I've never hit a 175+ on a test where I haven't seen any of the problems... :().

I think it's just the LG I need to crack down on, argh.  Any tips/advice for these last 10 days on LG?

As usual, thanks so much in advance

emergencyexit312

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Realistic to expect +5-7 point jump in last 10 days?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 12:42:15 AM »
don't post these questions here.  the majority of the responses will just get you down, as most of the people on this board seem to have a penchant not for brutal realism but more for vain demoralization.  keep practicing, and remember confidence is important too.

emergencyexit312

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 12:52:35 AM »
Maybe this speaks volumes about most of the participants on this forum.

don't post these questions here.  the majority of the responses will just get you down, as most of the people on this board seem to have a penchant not for brutal realism but more for vain demoralization.  keep practicing, and remember confidence is important too.

Someone who is truly self-confident will not have to demoralize others in order to make himself feel better. 

JusAccrescendi

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - JusAbstinendi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 01:06:38 AM »
There's a great deal of Schadenfreude on this forum, but I also think it's hard to keep a straight face at so many desperate questions from desperate people. Most people aren't saints, and annoyance can get the best of anyone.
I have studied and thoroughly mastered the laws of logic. So to argue that I sometimes violate the laws of logic in ordinary conversation would be like arguing that some physicist circumvents the laws of physics in everyday life.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jusabstinendi

jfields32

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 01:25:12 AM »
I took the test last year in December...I just started studying really hard again on the Sept 8 and I have seen a big improvement leading up to my score today on preptest 42...For some reason Im just not as stressed, I figure whatever happens(T1-T2) I will be happy..I  just wanna get on with my life.

But I was scoring good last time and ended up with a 160, so who knows...I just wanna get 165 or higher and I'll be stoked..

TurboGirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - turbogirl3535
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 01:36:09 AM »
I'm hoping for a similar jump in points myself. I'm hoping to hit there in the coming weeks before the test date. I agree with the doing games over and over. For me at least, becoming better at the test was a matter of recognizing the patterns in certain questions.

It's hard to describe how that works with games, but on must be true questions for example, "if GCmust be in position 4 then which of the following must be true"...instead of narrowing it down and testing a couple of tempting answers which is time consuming, I have realized that on these type of questions, the correct answer usually involves a seemingly unconnected variable that is connected to the variable in the question stem with a few degrees of separation.

So scanning through the questions I stop singling out what appears to be immediately connected and look through and realize G is connected because B must be in either slot 4 or 2, A must be before B, so if G is in 4 B must be in 1!   

Hope this helps!

Cabra

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 01:41:46 AM »
I don't know that 5-7 is "realistic" per se, but it's possible. Personally, my test day score was 3 pts higher than the average from my last 6 or so prep tests and I'd only scored as high on one practice test.

I attribute it to my laser-like "game day" focus and a good attitude.
CLS 2011

killblues

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 04:00:18 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys.

I guess my problem is i'm at that point where I can get -0 on both LR and RC sections and feel somewhat comfortable since LR and RC passages/stimuli/questions can only vary so much.  Whereas a goofy game can come around and I'd be completely screwed on game day.

Maybe I should put in a solid 1-2 days on doing noting but games.  Did it for LR, I guess it paid off.  Argh

Just did Preptest B.  -0 for LR, got killed on LG.  WTF