Law School Discussion

Handwrite or type application???

noell

Re: Handwrite or type application???
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2004, 09:16:53 AM »
I have really neat (TOO neat) handwriting also (my mother was an "old-fashioned" architect, and I got it from her, but I've read "Law School Confidential" and talked to my friend who works in a law school admissions office, and personally I would seriously consider typing it. Especially if it isn't written in stone that you are going to get in.

Think about it if two candidates have the same numbers, same qualifications, same background, etc., and there's one spot left, and they can't decide which one to pick, I am told they will likely pick the typed one, because that shows that you "care" about your application, and you took more effort to make it neat.  My friend told me she overheard someone saying something to the effect of handwritten applications should an abundance of laziness.  LOL.  But really it's your choice.  It's much easier nowadays since most (if not all) law schools have their applications in .pdf format which you can fill out on your computer through Acrobat (or Photoshop), or on a typewriter.  But if your numbers are really strong, and you show that you REALLY REALLY REALLY want to go to "so-and-so's" law school, then you can probably get away with it.  If going to law school is really important to you, you should show it as much as you can, typing it instead of handwritting, bond paper instead of regular paper, you know, little things like that.  Every "law school info" book I've read warns against handwritting, and I can't stress that enough.

However, it is your ultimate decision.  But, don't blame me when I take your spot in your law school because mine was typed and yours wasn't.  ;D

I agree SeanKenn! Good point!  Someone had mentioned to be on the "safe side" and I wasn't sure I understood that.

Then that's what I'm going to do- handwrite them!  I mean I figured that if I've gotten compliments on my handwriting being so neat than I can just handwrite them.

Jennifer10

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2004, 09:21:28 AM »
Another AWESOME point Noell!!!
Okay then.... I'm going to type it!!!! :)

noell

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2004, 09:24:00 AM »
LOL!

Another AWESOME point Noell!!!
Okay then.... I'm going to type it!!!! :)

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2004, 09:26:51 AM »
I do agree with much of what Noell says, but my point is there are never two identical applicants.  They may be similar, but never identical.  When it comes down to the decision, it will be based on things such as diversity, EC's, WE, etc.  All those things people say are worth hardly anything towards admission.  Those are the things which break ties.  Though, I do see the added professionalism typing an application can bring.  I just don't see it as a swaying factor in the application process.

noell

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2004, 09:29:19 AM »
This is true, but I was just saying that, if there were an identical couple applying for law school, most adcomms would choose the typed app.  It is, still, however, a matter of personal preference.  I *REALLY* want to go to my law school (I am only applying one to), so I am doing all I can to show that I am serious about going to law school.  :)

I do agree with much of what Noell says, but my point is there are never two identical applicants.  They may be similar, but never identical.  When it comes down to the decision, it will be based on things such as diversity, EC's, WE, etc.  All those things people say are worth hardly anything towards admission.  Those are the things which break ties.  Though, I do see the added professionalism typing an application can bring.  I just don't see it as a swaying factor in the application process.

lazybum

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2004, 09:52:46 AM »
edit

noell

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2004, 10:20:19 AM »
Yeah, if it's too much of a hassle, don't do it, but nowadays, it has gotten easier to find somewhere to type something up. :)  I'm not saying no handwritten app ever got admitted, I'm saying, like you did, don't be lax about your law school application. :)  Especially if it is pretty important to you. :)

I'm with you on the professionalism thing, but I maintain that there are other ways of showing this professionalism and that typing is not that big of a deal.  Granted, if it's only a matter of slight inconvenience, then I say 'stop being lazy and go type the damn thing.'  BUT if there is a valid reason that Jennifer has not to type it, then don't sweat it. 

<--------------------- Look at my GPA.  I am obviously not at the top of the applicant list for top 15 schools.  In fact, I don't even come close to the 25th percentile at most top 100 schools.  My handwritten application did not keep me from getting into my choices last year though.  I fully believe that if the rest of your application is strong, then writing it won't make that much of a difference.

I should say, however, that this year I am typing my apps.  I didn't do so last year because there were just too many cicumstances in my way; my applications would have been much much later had I waited to type them. 

Anyway, again - my point is- if you have the ability to type them, then do so. BUT if it's going to really pain you to type them, then don't sweat it and just make sure the rest of the application is solid.

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2004, 11:01:25 AM »
While I understand why people are saying to type it, let me just say (as I have before on other threads)- I did my applications by hand (except the personal statement) for last admissions cycle and was accepted to every school to which I applied (top 15s).  I don't think it makes any difference whether you write or type them if you are a qualified candidate. 

Out of curiosity, why are you applying again if you got accepted everywhere you applied last year?

desmo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2004, 11:02:17 AM »
she was saving for a typewriter

Jennifer10

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2004, 12:15:06 PM »
Hey SvannahSweets- U don't need to explain yourself to Desmo or anyone else for that matter.  It's your perogative girl!