Law School Discussion

Handwrite or type application???

Jennifer10

Handwrite or type application???
« on: September 24, 2004, 05:34:01 AM »
I've always been told that I have really nice & neat handwriting.  So, would it be okay then if I handwrote (and not typed) my application?  I mean they wouldn't frown upon this, would they?

Personally, I don't think it's big deal unless one has horrible handwriting.  But I wanted to get other's opinions.

Re: Handwrite or type application???
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 08:17:19 AM »
Not sure... I have heard it isn't a good idea, but I don't know if it would seriously put you at a disadvantage.  Conventional wisdom is to type it, just to be on the safe side.

ZAP

noell

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004, 08:30:54 AM »
Type it!

desmo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 08:39:29 AM »
I've always been told that I have really nice & neat handwriting.  So, would it be okay then if I handwrote (and not typed) my application?  I mean they wouldn't frown upon this, would they?

Personally, I don't think it's big deal unless one has horrible handwriting.  But I wanted to get other's opinions.

I think to really set yourself apart from the other candidates, you should use crayon.  In fact, I actually talked to the VP of admissions at the local law school and she mentioned receiving applications in crayon.  So obviously it will make an impression and be remembered.

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 08:43:53 AM »
I handwrote my applications.  Much due to the fact I don't have a typewriter or a PC to apply online with.  But I am sure it is what you write which is more important.  With everything being equal maybe it could make a difference.  But all things are never completely equal, so you should do whatever is easiest.  But don't take my advice as a reason to make a decision, this is just my 2 cents.  Good Luck!

desmo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2004, 08:47:42 AM »
I handwrote my applications.  Much due to the fact I don't have a typewriter or a PC to apply online with.  But I am sure it is what you write which is more important.  With everything being equal maybe it could make a difference.  But all things are never completely equal, so you should do whatever is easiest.  But don't take my advice as a reason to make a decision, this is just my 2 cents.  Good Luck!

Last time I checked, most libraries had computers available.  In addition, we're talking law school here, break down and buy a fricking typewriter.

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2004, 08:57:36 AM »
You know if I thought it really made a difference I might, but I don't.  I was just offering my opinion.  Too many people overanalyze the application process.  If you submit a neatly written application with solid numbers, PS, and Recs, there will be no detriment to your file.  Maybe if its illegible there would be a problem.  If I feel I have nothing to gain from typing my application, then why do it?

Jennifer10

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2004, 09:00:38 AM »
I agree SeanKenn! Good point!  Someone had mentioned to be on the "safe side" and I wasn't sure I understood that.

Then that's what I'm going to do- handwrite them!  I mean I figured that if I've gotten compliments on my handwriting being so neat than I can just handwrite them.

desmo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2004, 09:02:30 AM »
Call up your local law school and see what they have to say.  I'd be surprised if they don't say type it.

lazybum

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2004, 09:11:27 AM »
edit