Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does the Army Pay for Law School?  (Read 5125 times)

CandyMonster

• Sr. Citizen
  • Gimme candy!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Does the Army Pay for Law School?
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 03:44:30 PM »
The military also has programs where they send you to law school and pay for everything in addition to giving you a monthly stipend. In return, you agree to pay them back by serving a set number of years on active duty.

I'm reasonably certain those prgrams stopped quite a while ago, especially considering the fact that the military is trying to seperate lawyers because they're flooded with them.

If you have some kind of source saying this still goes on, I'd be interested to see it.

M,

I was refering to an active duty degree completion program. The program requires you to be on active duty then apply and be admitted in order for you to receive its benefits. Since the OP was vague and I recommended that the OP consult a recruiter, I didn't feel it was necessary to go into quite that much detail. Either way, the military does have those programs so I wasn't technically incorrect.
2007-2008 cycle
Accepted (in order): Duke, Harvard, UMich, Yale, Cornell, UVa, UPenn
Pending: Stanford, NYU, Columbia

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 03:49:53 PM »
The military also has programs where they send you to law school and pay for everything in addition to giving you a monthly stipend. In return, you agree to pay them back by serving a set number of years on active duty.

I'm reasonably certain those prgrams stopped quite a while ago, especially considering the fact that the military is trying to seperate lawyers because they're flooded with them.

If you have some kind of source saying this still goes on, I'd be interested to see it.
uh you can go on any military site and look its common term is graduate ROTC

http://www.jagusaf.hq.af.mil/FAQs/doespay.htm

"Does the Air Force pay for law school?

Yes, but only for active duty officers. The Air Force selects a small group of active duty officers who have at least 2 years of service to attend law school paid for by the Air Force. The Air Force does not fund law school for undergraduates or those already in law school. However, if you are selected to participate in the Graduate Law Program (GLP) and you attend a minority institution you may be eligible for the Air Force ROTC HBCU or HSI Type Two scholarship which will pay up to $15,000 of your law school annual tuition."

That's not ROTC.  The Air Force, at least, doesn't pay for law school, unless you're already in service.

Again, if someone has some kind of source saying otherwise, I'd be interested to see it.  But please actually check your source before citing it.

first of all check your tone. second of all i didn't think that i needed to explain that if you want a military benefit you have to join the military duh. which is why i advise against it for law school. second my service the USMC will pay for you to go to law school. they will send you to law school pay you at your current rank and then you serve for a set number of years. if your not a veteran or currently serving dont post random articles k thanks.  ROTC is a program that puts you through UG or graduate school pays for everything in exchange for commission upon graduation. so check your facts because i am an ROTC graduate so i know what im talking about
...man, you was who you was before you got here

SWATJester

• http://wikilaw.blogspot.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacSimSWATJester
    • View Profile
    • May It Please The Court -- A guide for 1L's and aspiring law students.
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 04:27:42 PM »

Yes, but only for active duty officers. The Air Force selects a small group of active duty officers who have at least 2 years of service to attend law school paid for by the Air Force. The Air Force does not fund law school for undergraduates or those already in law school. However, if you are selected to participate in the Graduate Law Program (GLP) and you attend a minority institution you may be eligible for the Air Force ROTC HBCU or HSI Type Two scholarship which will pay up to $15,000 of your law school annual tuition."

That's not ROTC.  The Air Force, at least, doesn't pay for law school, unless you're already in service.

Again, if someone has some kind of source saying otherwise, I'd be interested to see it.  But please actually check your source before citing it.

first of all check your tone. second of all i didn't think that i needed to explain that if you want a military benefit you have to join the military duh. which is why i advise against it for law school. second my service the USMC will pay for you to go to law school. they will send you to law school pay you at your current rank and then you serve for a set number of years. if your not a veteran or currently serving dont post random articles k thanks.  ROTC is a program that puts you through UG or graduate school pays for everything in exchange for commission upon graduation. so check your facts because i am an ROTC graduate so i know what im talking about

Saying "I'm an ROTC graduate so I know what im talking about" is like saying "I"m retarded so I'm smart." Most ROTC graduates can't find their ass with a compass. You probably know this. There is a reason why ROTC cadidiots are looked down on, and cherry 2LT fresh out of ROTC should not even open their mouth until after their first deployment/spur ride/ranger school.

I'm not saying that's you. You may be the smartest ROTC person ever. You may have been prior service and then gone ROTC. But that's not the norm in ROTC. Most ROTC graduates are kids who did 4 years of college and NALC or LDP or whatever they call it now, and think that makes them an expert on the military. It's no different from JROTC kids who think they know about the army because they took classes on it in high school, or that kid that goes to basic and comes back as a split-op with his ranger cut high and tight and ultra high speed, telling everyone he knows all about the military and is super hooah.

expertise comes with experience. That comes with time. Once again, I'm not saying that's not you. I'm saying that for a good 80-90% of ROTC grads, that's not THEM.
Are you a 1L or aspiring law student? You need to read this!
http://wikilaw.blogspot.com
A guide for 1L's and law students-to-be written by a 1L at American University Washington College of Law.

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
  • Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 06:21:47 PM »

First of all, no.

Second of all, if you're already active duty, what you're doing in NOT ROTC, so clearly you don't know what you're talking about.  Being an ROTC graduate in no way qualifies you to talk about JAG recruiting, which is a unique program.

You said that they do it through ROTC, and the program you describe, if it even exists for more than a very few of each service, is not ROTC.  Call me crazy, but I find the JAG recruiting service (aka "random articles") more reliable than an illustrious ROTC graduate who can barely type.  I've worked in JAG offices for more than three years, which gives me a hell of a lot more experience than you being an ROTC graduate.

So you go check your facts, and, if anything resembling what you're talking about exists, post a link.
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)
Deferred: Northwestern
Waitlisted: Penn ($$)
Rejected: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 06:26:30 PM »

M,

I was refering to an active duty degree completion program. The program requires you to be on active duty then apply and be admitted in order for you to receive its benefits. Since the OP was vague and I recommended that the OP consult a recruiter, I didn't feel it was necessary to go into quite that much detail. Either way, the military does have those programs so I wasn't technically incorrect.

You weren't incorrect, but they're so limited that I'd caution against anyone entering a service counting on these programs.  I thought you were referring to what used to exist, where one could have it paid for, then join and do their years.
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)

Eveman in Ingmarland

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2007, 06:47:22 PM »
Might I point out that while a certain corporatized cluster-f*** quagmire of a conflict is taking place, it might not be such a good idea to join the military regardless of any real or imagined tuition refurbishment programs? I mean, law school doesn't really matter so much if you're dead, or have brain damage, or had your arms blown off by an IED, right?

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2007, 07:51:54 PM »

Saying "I'm an ROTC graduate so I know what im talking about" is like saying "I"m retarded so I'm smart." Most ROTC graduates can't find their ass with a compass. You probably know this. There is a reason why ROTC cadidiots are looked down on, and cherry 2LT fresh out of ROTC should not even open their mouth until after their first deployment/spur ride/ranger school.

I'm not saying that's you. You may be the smartest ROTC person ever. You may have been prior service and then gone ROTC. But that's not the norm in ROTC. Most ROTC graduates are kids who did 4 years of college and NALC or LDP or whatever they call it now, and think that makes them an expert on the military. It's no different from JROTC kids who think they know about the army because they took classes on it in high school, or that kid that goes to basic and comes back as a split-op with his ranger cut high and tight and ultra high speed, telling everyone he knows all about the military and is super hooah.

expertise comes with experience. That comes with time. Once again, I'm not saying that's not you. I'm saying that for a good 80-90% of ROTC grads, that's not THEM.

dude learn to read. ROTC a program in which you get a degree and commissioned as an officer some idiot posted that the military does not pay for graduate school and justified it with some article about the air force and then saying that you have to already be in the military. well no sh-t you have to be in the military to take advantage of military benefits. here's your sign. the common term for the graduate program is graduate ROTC thats what people call it thats what its known by. if your enlisted you're not doing ROTC didn't say you were. but you can do ROTC and carry it on to graduate or medical school. enlisted members are not eligible for law school unless they get a degree at which time they can take advantage of the graduate program, but i wasn't refereeing to enlisted i was referring to officers which is what you have to be to take advantage of the law school program.  i'm not the one who is retarded here but i do assume that any retard knows that to receive military benefits you have to be in the military. if you want to be a lawyer you dont need the miltary or its graduate equivalent of ROTC to do so. thats the point of the post and what the original poster wanted to know. here's you sign.

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 09:32:19 PM »

dude learn to read. ROTC a program in which you get a degree and commissioned as an officer some idiot posted that the military does not pay for graduate school and justified it with some article about the air force and then saying that you have to already be in the military. well no sh-t you have to be in the military to take advantage of military benefits. here's your sign. the common term for the graduate program is graduate ROTC thats what people call it thats what its known by. if your enlisted you're not doing ROTC didn't say you were. but you can do ROTC and carry it on to graduate or medical school. enlisted members are not eligible for law school unless they get a degree at which time they can take advantage of the graduate program, but i wasn't refereeing to enlisted i was referring to officers which is what you have to be to take advantage of the law school program.  i'm not the one who is retarded here but i do assume that any retard knows that to receive military benefits you have to be in the military. if you want to be a lawyer you dont need the miltary or its graduate equivalent of ROTC to do so. thats the point of the post and what the original poster wanted to know. here's you sign.

If there was anything comprehensible to respond to in there, I would, but as it is...

OP, The military has specific, incredibly limited opportunities for those already serving, not ROTC or any other program by which you can sign up expecting to receive it.

Good luck.
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2007, 09:52:13 PM »
if you want to be an idiot fine but keep it to yourself but some people actually come here to be informed and you dont know what the bleep your talking about. i'm a marine corps vet and current law student. anybody wants the real deal on the education benefits PM me, i was the education officer for my battalion. I know about all the programs BOOST, SMART, and the Naval Academy commissioning program (which i took advantage of) and all the rest. caveat, my knowledge is restricted to navy and marine corps. But once again to the first poster JAG is really not the way to go if your ultimate goal is to be a civilian lawyer.

SWATJester

• http://wikilaw.blogspot.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacSimSWATJester
    • View Profile
    • May It Please The Court -- A guide for 1L's and aspiring law students.
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2007, 10:30:54 PM »
if you want to be an idiot fine but keep it to yourself but some people actually come here to be informed and you dont know what the bleep your talking about. i'm a marine corps vet and current law student. anybody wants the real deal on the education benefits PM me, i was the education officer for my battalion. I know about all the programs BOOST, SMART, and the Naval Academy commissioning program (which i took advantage of) and all the rest. caveat, my knowledge is restricted to navy and marine corps. But once again to the first poster JAG is really not the way to go if your ultimate goal is to be a civilian lawyer.

Agreed. But that also comes with the caveat that there is 1 million ways for your command structure, the VA, and DoD to @#!* you out of your benefits if they so choose. All of them.
Are you a 1L or aspiring law student? You need to read this!
http://wikilaw.blogspot.com
A guide for 1L's and law students-to-be written by a 1L at American University Washington College of Law.