Law School Discussion

T3 that bad?

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
T3 that bad?
« on: September 14, 2007, 10:57:00 AM »
         Now, I have no interest in biglaw.  I want to work in private practice, maybe one day open up my own estate planning and investment firm, with a bit of elder law or divorce law thrown in.  Alternately I have a very cheap living situation while the gf goes to medschool on long island...hofstra and st johns are therefore my best choices. 
         If I dont get into St. Johns, as Im white and slightly below the median scores (athough not out of the ball park as is indicated by LSN.com), is it that much of a career hit to go to hofstra which is a lock for me?  Or should I go to the T80+ schools that require me to move...will it make that much difference when I'm in a small firm?  The debt is a worry of course, but as I said, my fiancee is a doctor, and we plan on using my entire salary to pay off our loans while we live on her 2nd year+ residency money (45-50k a year before the huge curve slides in and it jumps to 120k or so for anesthesiology).  I've noticed this board is rather elitist...with my 75% lsat score i feel like I didnt study...an honest answer please :(.  Realistically is it that bad a plan, even though I can go to better schools?

3.37 LSDAS, 158 LSAT

Re: T3 that bad?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 11:18:23 AM »
Are you planning on working in the vicinity of St. John's/Hofstra?  If so, picking up and moving to attend only a slightly better school would be a poor idea.  All of the schools in the range you've listed are going to be very regional, so stick around the area where you want to practice.  Anything you can do to lower debt (such as keeping your cheap living situation) will help out a lot when it comes time to pay back the loans.

St. Johns and Hofstra have identical reputation scores.  Oddly though, Hofstra's 25%-75% starting salaries were not reported this year.  St. John's are $55k - $125k, but I don't know what percentage of grads reported.

Re: T3 that bad?
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 01:25:36 PM »
I want to work in private practice, maybe one day open up my own estate planning and investment firm, with a bit of elder law or divorce law thrown in.

Estate planning and investments?  You might want to consider forgetting about law school and going to work for a financial planning company. 

Hofstra and St. John's are not good value for their tuition. 

You mention that you are living in the Long Island area.  Would commuting to CUNY be to much of a hassle?

CUNY has the disadvantage of being a "T4" school.

HOWEVER

It has extremely low tuition. http://www.law.cuny.edu/app/admissions/tuition.jsp: $4,450.00 per semester.  That's less than 9k/year if you are a NY state resident! Even if you are out of state, tuition is still less than 15k/year which is great compared to private schools.

Hofstra, in contrast, will cost almost $37,000/year. http://law.hofstra.edu/CurrentStudents/FinancialAid/finaid_tuition.html

If you couldn't care less about prestige, go for the lowest possible cost!  Under the "T3 lawyer s are still lawyers" line of thinking, who cares if CUNY is ranked low.  You'll get your JD and your shot at practice.

I'd say go to the cheapest school possible, and laugh all the way to the bank.