Law School Discussion

Sufficient/Necessary Question

kits44

• View Profile
Sufficient/Necessary Question
« on: November 02, 2007, 12:50:24 PM »
We ought to pay attention only to the intrinsic properties of a work of art. Its other, extrinsic properties are irrelevant to our aesthetic interactions with it. FOr example, when we look at a painting we should consider only what is directly presented in our experience of it. What is aesthetically relevant, therefore, is not what a painting symbolizes, but waht it directly presents to experience. (June 1999, Section 1, #24)

Question stem: The conclusion follows logically if which one of the following is added to the premises?

TCR: What an artwork symbolizes involves only extrinsic properties of that work.

Could someone possibly explain this to me through diagramming?  Thanks!!

Re: Sufficient/Necessary Question
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 02:19:18 PM »
No need to diagram. The way I see it is that TCR is needed to make the argument more sound. With that TCR added you are helping to define why a person should not factor in the extrinsic because the argument states that an artworks symbolization is irrelevant. This statement is needed in order to make the argument make sense. This is a "justify the conclusion" question in which the objective is to add somthing to the argument that makes it make sense. So what I do with these is add the TCR to the argument when I read it to myself.