Law School Discussion

Are some law schools "easier" than others?

->Soon

• View Profile
Re: Are some law schools "easier" than others?
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2007, 11:54:30 AM »
In short, no law school is particularly hard.  It's just voluminous.

This seems to be relatively well-accepted here.

Why, then, is the LSAT such a strong predictor of law school success?  If this were true, it would seem that GPA would be a much stronger indicator of success (at least if you consider the UG institution as well).

I agree with this, share your question, and understand your reasoning above.

Anecdotally, however, as a student at a lower-ranked school, I find that I do have a tremendous amount of work (when I choose to do it), and, having spoken to friends at higher-ranked schools about their curricula, I often get the impression that my curriculum is at least as if not more rigorous than theirs (beyond the grading policies).  For instance, I read close to 100 pages of constitutional law per week in my first semester of conlaw, which was two credits.  And at my school (and other lower-ranked schools), we have graded legal writing plus four or five substantive-law classes first year, while most higher-ranked schools have ungraded legal writing plus three substantive-law classes.  (The number of credits may be similar or the same, but in terms of exam preparation, at least, the number of classes makes a difference.)

TITCR

@#!* yea!

H4CS

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2007, 11:15:19 PM »
3.  The LSAT isn't hard, either.

The LSAT is generally recognized as the most difficult non-knowledge based standardized exam in existence.  for people with extremely strong LR/AR/RC aptitude, it's actually not that difficult.  (See, e.g., Robin Singh, who got a pefect score after one night of study.)  However, for most people, it clearly is.

Ok, so I think we all now know who Lindbergh is.  Don't know why this wasn't obvious before.

And anyone who believes this nonsense deserves whatever they get when they follow it.

H4CS

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2007, 11:20:16 PM »
He's Robin Singh?  I swear, you're like Sherlock Holmes. 

Stick around a bit and maybe you'll pick up some reading comprehension.

H4CS

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2007, 11:40:02 PM »
What do you mean?  We should believe the LSAT isn't hard, and act accordingly?

No.  I mean absolutely nobody should feel better than anyone else because of what they got on their LSAT.  It's like gloating about tic-tac-toe.  People should feel proud of their accomplishments when compared to their own goals, but to pretend that you've conquered a hard test is just ludicrous.

If they wanted to make the LSAT hard, they would have 7 different types of sections of which 5 were randomly selected.  Instead of three types of sections which repeat in a predictable order.

H4CS

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2007, 12:12:13 AM »
Who says anyone should feel better than anyone else based on the LSAT? We're talking about law school aptitude, not general worth as a human being.  Most HYS students are total douches, no one disputes that.

You're the one who insists that the test has great worth as a predictor of law school success (it doesn't) and that it's generally acknowledged (by the voices in your head?) as the most difficult of it's type.  I'd posit this one is a little harder: http://wilderdom.com/personality/intelligenceOriginalAustralian.html

And to insist that it's non-knowledge based is to naturalize a specific world view.  The LSAT is as unbiased as the link above.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2007, 12:19:21 AM »
I'm very good at tic tac toe.

Shall we play a game?

:D 

I hate this argument.

paratactical

• int3rn3t bff
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2007, 06:11:22 AM »
I'm very good at tic tac toe.

Shall we play a game?

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2007, 01:22:13 PM »
I like that suggestion. I think I'll keep it in mind. I'm one of those people like you describe -- high-ish scores untimed, with a VERY large drop when I take it timed. In my personal life circumstances I think this is as much an issue of familiarity as anything else. I want my cubicle, my coffee cup, my cushy chair; I want the attractive young women to stop jiggling and start looking like the mustachioed bloated behemoths I used to work with so I can concentrate; I want to be free to drop everything if an email pops up in my in-box, and then return to it undisturbed three hours later, especially if the email is about a more important project.

:D  jiggling?  lmao

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2007, 02:13:59 PM »
Tag for later when I have time to read all of this.

paratactical

• int3rn3t bff
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2007, 06:09:57 AM »
Tag for later when I have time to read all of this.

Don't. It will eat your brain.