Law School Discussion

Is Iowa overrated?

Is Iowa overrated?
« on: September 12, 2007, 11:04:33 PM »
I was thinking of applying there, but I heard that it is way overrated by USNWR. With that said, I am looking into Big10 type law schools and wanted your thoughts.

Bouzie

• yummy
    • View Profile
    • Buy This
Re: Is Iowa overrated?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 07:40:45 AM »
I was thinking of applying there, but I heard that it is way overrated by USNWR. With that said, I am looking into Big10 type law schools and wanted your thoughts.

I'm a fan of IU-B oh and michigan too!

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 03:03:28 PM »
with your #'s you may wanna apply there...

Nothing to suggest you shouldn't on the basis of it being overrated. Even if it's overrated, you can use it to your advantage.

Chicago's the closest market: I'm not sure what the OCI cutoffs are for Iowa compared to UIUC and then to DePaul, Loyola, Kent, etc. but that is probably the best baseline to show you how highly valued the school is, in spite of the rankings... 

vap

• Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 12:10:12 PM »
Salaries are not that impressive compared to similarly-situated schools (Minnesota, WashU, Illinois, IU-B, Wisconsin) but my experience has been that it is respected by those outside the Midwest simply because of its consistent high ranking in USNWR.  My understanding is that employers use USNWR to gauge the strengths of schools with which they aren't extremely familiar. Meaning: regardless of what law students think about it being "overrated," the name of the school will still carry some weight outside the Midwest.

A biglaw attorney recruiter in DC I spoke to about the decision highly advised Iowa over the T2 I eventually chose.  The main problem with Iowa is cost.  Not sure what the tuition will be next year, but I'm guessing close to $35,000.  You can cut this amount in half after 1L if you work as a research assistant, though.  I think it's too expensive to pay full price, and the research assistant restriction could really be a bummer if you 1) don't get it (which is unlikely, as apparently these jobs are easy to land), or 2) are doing a journal and/or moot court and don't have the time.

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 07:34:09 PM »
Iowa has a strong faculty.  But yes, it is probably overrated.  Still a pretty good choice if you want to stay in the midwest.

K?

• Do You Believe Her
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 05:48:24 PM »
If you're looking at Big 10 and you're unlikely to get into Northwestern or Michigan, Minnesota is probably your best bet, with Iowa a close second.

Part of the reason Iowa Law is consistently rated so high is that it has a very, very well respected library.

With your numbers, you'd have an average shot at getting in.  It looks like you're below the median on both, but only slightly.  If you were a resident, you'd be pretty safe, but you should still be somewhat secure. 

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 08:37:33 PM »
I would say Illinois is better than Iowa in terms of job prospects.   Iowa is overrated for sure.

With the OP's LSAT, that's beside the point.  UIUC loves 166+.

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 02:07:36 AM »

So what?  If you're looking at Big 10 schools, a few are clearly better than Iowa.  After that, even if Iowa is overrated, no other Big 10 school (or any comparable school) is underrated to the point that there is any meaningful or clear distinction and variance beyond what you should reasonably expect within that range of rankings.  If anything it's an advantage.

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 07:33:45 PM »
I would say Illinois is better than Iowa in terms of job prospects.   Iowa is overrated for sure.

With the OP's LSAT, that's beside the point.  UIUC loves 166+.

UIUC may love 166+, but so does Boalt, UCLA, USC, GW, etc.  Is that really required for UIUC?

Almost.  UIUC's strategy last year was to admit both GPA and LSAT splitters.  LSN lists two people with 3.5 GPA's admitted to UIUC.  They had 165 LSAT's.  The only admitted 160 listed on LSN undoubtedly was a URM or had _extremely_ good soft factors.  He had a 3.6 GPA.

bruinbro

• B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 07:55:37 PM »

You shouldn't chose to not apply to Iowa just because it is overrated. It is still a good school with a respected faculty.