Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My story...any advice appreciated  (Read 5359 times)

desi

Re: My story...any advice appreciated
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2004, 11:03:28 PM »
whats with the photos of ATL desi?  Those wouldn't happen to be his sisters in the see-though lingerie?

Not my sisters.  And they're not in see-through lingerie. 

I can't decide whether you were joking in your post, or whether you expressed the ignorance that I face on a daily basis from people that see two or three brown people and automatically assume that we're related.

RockyMtnHighMama

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2004, 12:51:50 AM »
Just wanted to add my two-pennies worth... Go for it! I'm a soon-to-be-40-year-old with 4 kids doing a similar thing. A little over a year ago, I decided it was time to go to law school, so I contacted my undergrad's pre-law advisement center. They gave me some valuable tips toward studying for the LSAT (they told me to put in 6 months of study, using just the preptests, in this fashion: study 6 days/week, two hours/day. Day 1 take a prep-test under timed conditions. Day 2 study all the wrong answers - get your head wrapped around 'why' they were wrong. Day 3 study all the right answers - get your head wrapped around 'why' they were right. Day 4 practice logic problems - use logic problem magazines and the Logic Games Bible, etc. Repeat with new prep-test on day 5.) They also recommended that I take the June test. They gave me important stats about admission rates from my undergrad (even though I'm 20 years out of college, they still count), and some hand-outs on how to put together a law app resume, the personal statement, and addendums (addenda?).

So, I did that, along with spending the past year preparing my children (ages 16, 14, 10, and 6) and husband to be more self-sufficient, and tying up loose ends in some volunteer work (the above tasks will take another year yet to complete! LOL). But my apps and papers are all in to the two Law Schools in my area (CU and DU), so it's just a matter of waiting until January to hear whether I'm admitted and then August to actually go.

So that's my experience (so far). I say go for it. Good luck!

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2004, 07:18:00 AM »
desmo. what's your story...I need to know before I get pumped up by your knowledge. ar ar

What lsat study guides should I use.  I've decided to take it for sure and see how it goes

My advice on the LSAT may not be the best, my prep was fairly light compared to most people on this board.  I stuck to actual test, used the triple prep and 10 more actual from LSAC.  Worked through Kaplan's LSAT 180, but didn't find the questions as impossbile as they advertised.  They were fully explained and failry hard so this helped.  I tried a Princeton book, but returned it when I got to the part where they recommended skipping questions - not a good way to get a high score IMO.  I worked 1-2 sections at a time, always timed, always at home with all the noise and distractions.  I didn't get the much heralded Logic Games Bible, attend a course, or try to work through every previous test.  I ended up only spending about 45 mintues 4 nights a week with more on the weekend.  Of course I never felt like I prepped enough, don't think anyone does.  My advice would be to take a test or two untimed to get the feel for the questions, take a couple timed to see where you sit.  If you don't like your score, you may want to consider a review course.  IMO if you're in the mid 160's after a couple timed tests, a review course probably won't do much for you except lighten your checkbook.

As far as my story, hmmm, no offense but I do like my anonymity.  I'm very egotistical and have a tendency to write what I think without sugar coating it, sometimes to the point of being downright nasty.  Yes, I have my faults, but I've learned to live with them.  As far as things I've already posted - BS/MS Mechanical Engineering, mid 30's, 2 kids, and a career that already provides a good living.  Some reasons I haven't posted - been there done that with my engineering career, am now bored and want something a little more challenging.  I wanted to go into Nutritional Biochemistry with focus on protein use, but I don't have the biology background for med school.  In addition, I wasn't willing to put in the time to get the pre-req's in addition to school and residency.  So the other choice that could match my current income and leverage my engineering background was law (yup it's pretty much IP for me).  Add to that the high T2 school 5 minutes from work and the decision was made.

And to satisfy my curiosity, how (or why) does one start a business refurbing carousel horses - pretty niche market - in the middle of southern Illinois farmland?  Not an obvious match at first glance.

Desmo

ionltd

• Sunday Dinner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2004, 09:56:29 AM »
Not my sisters.  And they're not in see-through lingerie. 

I can't decide whether you were joking in your post, or whether you expressed the ignorance that I face on a daily basis from people that see two or three brown people and automatically assume that we're related.

Oh for crying out loud!

I was having fun with your youth and testosterone!  I had no idea if you were purple, green or midnight blue.

ionltd

• Sunday Dinner
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2004, 10:53:17 AM »
And to satisfy my curiosity, how (or why) does one start a business refurbing carousel horses - pretty niche market - in the middle of southern Illinois farmland?  Not an obvious match at first glance.

Desmo

It sort of just happened.  Actually the rent on my warehouse is only $475 a month for 4000 sq ft.  In a larger community I would pay thousands more.  I'm in showrooms in major cities that my reps have to pay for so it's actually the perfect situation.  My product is seen by thousands of buyers and my overhead is very low. The horses aren't actual carousel horses that we refurbish.  We have the horses molded and we prep and paint them from scratch.  They're reproductions.

You answered my "what's your story question" (just wanted your law education situation,  sorry if you thought I was digging for more) except where you are in the process.

You know...I think we are somewhat similiar.  You asked me why I want to go to law school when I'm in a situation many are striving for.  You too have a career that makes you a "good living" and it's not enough for you.....I also say what I think and get disgusted with stupidity.  I despise people that can't be responsible for their actions and can alter facts to support their cause. Sometimes I think it's just youth and lack of experience, therefore laughable, but lately I think some people have narcissism so deeply embedded (either by nature or nuture) that they'll always be able find a way to make their situation or problem someone or something elses fault.  Most of it IS just laughable, but I can't shutup when it comes to complete dishonesty. (like you did with the kid that wanted to write to 3 schools and tell them all they were his first choice...he couldn't see how it was immoral and it made me sick to my stomache)  I've had to teach myself to keep my mouth shut in some business situations and honestly I'm tired of that, too.  I've been like that since childhood and my reward was more bruises than my brothers and sisters got.

ionltd

• Sunday Dinner
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2004, 11:01:08 AM »
quote author RockyMtnHighMama 
So that's my experience (so far). I say go for it. Good luck!

Thanks!  You are an extremely orgainized woman.  Taking a year to put everthing in order is admirable.  I have the advantage of my kids being out of the house, I only have a husband that will have to learn to feed himself and wipe his own rear!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2004, 04:04:02 PM »
Is there anyway you could keep the business?  it sounds like you have a great thing going.  Or maybe you could sell half, and keep half?  You can be like the silent shareholder, adn someone could buy in and put time in to run the place?

I don't know exactly what your situation is financially, but I don't see why you should have to completely abandon a great thing, especially if it pays the bills.

And don't worry, if you're as close to the women you work with as it seems you are, a little thing like a business and law school won't change that.  You don't have to work together to go out and have dinners and get-togethers.  My bf's mom has a great group of friends who all, at one point or another, lived in teh same area of CT.  All but 1 has since moved elsewhere, one down south, one in PA, adn one to frozen Alberta, Canada, and they're all as close as ever!  If they can do it over hundreds of miles, you can too!

And I'm sure you'll rock law school, and do better than many of us young'uns.  :)

ionltd

• Sunday Dinner
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2004, 05:38:43 PM »
Of course you're right Jacy...it's sort of the same thing I went through when my kids left home for school.  It was what was right and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way, but it's just the change from being with someone you like and love every day, to not seeing them much.  I'll get over it.

Funny thing, I was just thinking yesterday about figuring out a way to do just what you said about not giving up the business totally.  I'll be working on that.

Thanks

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2004, 10:38:55 AM »
Well, good luck with everything!  :)

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2004, 12:39:14 PM »
We have the horses molded and we prep and paint them from scratch.  They're reproductions.

My mistake on the refurb/repro - didn't read close enough.
I'm assuming you don't mold in house, too much overhead.  Prep and paint sounds fairly simple, inventory storage has to eat space though but at such cheap rent, who cares.

Good luck on the business decision.

And yes, I can be politically correct if need be.  I just don't always feel that on this board I need to be...