Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My story...any advice appreciated  (Read 5460 times)

dgatl

Re: My story...any advice appreciated
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2004, 01:29:31 AM »
i was accepted there with a 3.13 GPA (according to LSAC... my school GPA was a 3.3).  your experience makes you a "diversity" candidate.  i think you will be accepted. 

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2004, 01:47:12 AM »
I say go for it as well. The 25/75 split at UofI is 3.12/3.61 and 159/164.  Your GPA is in there and if you score above a 159 you’re in there as well. That being said you have plenty of experience that shows so know how to work hard and get stuff done. Law schools love that. So if your numbers are anywhere close I would imagine that they will take you.

I would take a practice test and if you do Ok then just go take the LSAT and go for it. If you don't do so well. maybe prep a bit. A lot of the stuff in the LSAT (Reading Comprehension, Logic stuff) are skills that most people learn in college and then sort of loss with item. However with a little prep I bet you would be doing great. Running a business requires an understanding of logic and such. Regardless of all this, if it is your dream you have to go for it.

ionltd

• Sunday Dinner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2004, 08:20:03 AM »
thanks giffy.

I'm going to call the admissions office today and set up a vist.

The support I've gotten from my family and employees is unbelievabe (and my husband is a cheap ass!)

What bothers me is leaving my people at my business.  We are like family...I love many of them.   You younger guys might not understand, but these women and I are eachothers sounding board and complaining forums on a daily bases.  We've helped each other though miscarraiges, divorces (not mine), marriages, empty nest syndrome (mine) jerk husbands (all of us)...many tears, hugs, screams, hysterical laughing...I hate goodbyes

ionltd

• Sunday Dinner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2004, 08:25:17 AM »
btw

whats with the photos of ATL desi?  Those wouldn't happen to be his sisters in the see-though lingerie?

Great...I'll post my family photo

Barb

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2004, 10:27:08 AM »
I'm a 50 yo woman that owns a moderately successful small business manufacturing reproduction carousel horses and selling them to retailers around the world (we're on The Price is Right as a prize!!)

My undergrad is a BS in Medical Technology (3.2 gpa)and I worked in a hospital diagnostic lab for 14 years before starting my company where I've been for the last 14 years. (hmmmm, first time I've done the math...14 year itch?)

I've served on our area school board, raised 2 kids on our farm (my son's in med school and my daughter is finishing her masters then hopefully phd)and have been involved in many community activities.

ok...I want to sell my business and realize a life long dream of going to law school.  (I know you've heard it before a million times.

There is only one school within reasonable driving distance of where I live, so I've only got one shot.

Should I take the risk and go for it?  What are my chances?  We're finally financially and time ready.

Any help or comments appreciated...thanks

This just reeks of options I don't know where to start.

1) You've got the diversity factor locked up.  I have to believe most schools will look at this and drool at what your experience would add to a law school class.  I can't expound on this enough.

2) Do you have to sell the business?  I haven't looked at U of I, but do they offer a part-time evening program or is this totally out of the question?  Could you start part-time to slowly work yourself out of the business and then go full time?  Is there any possibility of taking a smaller role in the company but remaining on board?  This may be too difficult unless you have a second in command that you have faith in, otherwise I think you'd have a hard time not offering 'suggestions' all the time.  Just out of curiosity - how big of a company are we talking? 

3)  Your UGPA was 20 some years ago and I think your experience far outweighs it.  I think GPA is more of a factor with new grads as opposed to someone with heavy WE.

4)  Medical and Health law is very strong right now if your wanted to go back into this field.  Your business experience gives you a lead in any type of corporate law.  You've got a lot of background to leverage for whatever path you end up on. 

5)  I haven't been through Champaign-Urbana lately.  My first thought is the limited firms available after graduation may point you closer to Chicago, but then I looked at a map and it looks like St Louis or Springfield would be more likely choices.  I'm guessing you're in Neoga.  I've been through Mattoon and Sullivan a lot in a past life, not a whole lot there.

6)  And of course, since I'm an ass and would dissappoint people if I didn't at least make some negative comment - Why would a successful women who raised two over-achieving kids, started her own business, and put up with the same husband for so many years (My wife tells me this is very hard), have any doubt that she could smoke law school?  Geez, set your goals as you obviously have before and start practicing for the LSAT!

ionltd

• Sunday Dinner
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2004, 11:01:16 AM »
Oh my god....

I think I love you!  You make me look a lot better than I think I am.

U of I has no part time. 

My business isn't huge, however we have over 6000 retailers that purchase from us and we are with 5 rep groups across the US. I don't think I could do both. A lot of travel...and I enjoyed that.  Met some unbelievable people...Dr Ruth in NY when I did the International Toy Fair (got my picture with her), Richard Simmons there too...Kirstie Ally at the LA show in a booth next to man (wow was she big) Merideth Baxter Birney in Atlanta, buyers for San Francisco Music Box Co, Hershey Park, Disney, etc...sat next to an ex Miss America on a flight to NY and another time net to Fernando Vina's agent.  (ex-cardinal my fav...got an autographed picture!) it's been a blast.

How did you know I was in Neoga?????

We have a farm...can't move for work, however getting a job afterwords isn't a concern.

I'm calling U of I now

Thanks so much desmo

Here's the family photo (the extra young woman in the photo is my son's fiance who is in LAW SCHOOL)

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2004, 11:16:52 AM »
So since your business (It's Only Natural) is going great, you love it, I assume it pays the bills, and since you're in charge meaning you get to call the shots - why on earth are you thinking of dumping it all for law school?

Honestly, your website looks like it's a real interesting business so what's your goal with LS - own practice?, handling your sons malpractice claims  :),
BIGLAW? 

You've got the dream most (some?) of us are aspiring to - what gives?

And BTW, you gave me enough information to figure out where you are - driving distance of U of I, and carousel horses.

ionltd

• Sunday Dinner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2004, 11:44:11 AM »
What a bright young man!

I'm tired of the day to day crap.  Complaining customers, lazy employees, damaged items, bad moldings, trucks not showing up etc.  If we were a larger business and I had office help it would be different, but I do EVERYTHING.  Also, I've conquered it and I feel like something is still missing.  I want to be an attorney.

ps..did the photo work?

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2004, 12:02:54 PM »
No photo didn't work and I'm only about 10 years younger than you.

ionltd

• Sunday Dinner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2004, 08:42:36 PM »
desmo. what's your story...I need to know before I get pumped up by your knowledge. ar ar

What lsat study guides should I use.  I've decided to take it for sure and see how it goes