Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My story...any advice appreciated  (Read 5467 times)

ionltd

• Sunday Dinner
    • View Profile
Re: My story...any advice appreciated
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2004, 05:36:34 PM »
Thanks

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2004, 03:02:12 PM »
Go for it!

I'm applying to UI as well.  Maybe I'll see you there :)
Fed gov't atty

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2004, 02:23:55 AM »
I keep hearing everyone touting work experience and life experience.  That's the only thing I got going for me.  My problem is that when I went back to school two years ago, I really only had around a 3.00 GPA since coming back, my younger college days were a joke, and LSDAS calculated my GPA at 2.06.  My work experience includes tax and accounting, plus I was self employed doing that for 5 years, and quit that to go get rich running a business on the Internet.  How do schools see this without the auto reject button turned on when the machine sees 2.06?  I've read Montauk, I'm still not convinced, and to you older folks, I am 40, I am not trying to rain on your parade, but wouldn't it be nice if we could here from someone in our position that actually did get into a decent school?  Can anyone suggest some good links to get this not so crazy notion that a 2.06 will be spit out before a human sees my file.  Not that this helps, but LSDAS screwed up, and my GPA will be 2.62, still not enough for a human to see it.   >:(

Rocky, I would have asked you out in high school.  Nice pic  ;)
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

gobears

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2004, 04:15:16 AM »
This isn't precisely relevant, but maybe it'll be encouraging in another way?  It's the website of a 48 year old lady who's at the University of Michigan Law School:

http://musingsonlifelawandgender.typepad.com/about.html

(And sorry for interreputing!  I'm in my 20s so I probably shouldn't be here. ;) )

ionltd

• Sunday Dinner
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2004, 11:44:28 AM »
Go for it!

I'm applying to UI as well.  Maybe I'll see you there :)

Wouldn't that be great!

Are you an old bag like me? Where are you from?

Have you taken the lsat yet?  What are you studying

Barb

ionltd

• Sunday Dinner
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2004, 08:23:12 AM »

A lot of people think I'm crazy for stepping out of the corporate ladder since I went straight into a position where you would normally need 3-5 years of experience

Do you guys think it's naive of me to have this line of thought? 

My family and friends are pretty used to "crazy" by now.  If I didn't throw something from left field every 14 years they would probably think I was dead.

You're quite lucky to have gotten your urge at such an early part of your life.

ohwellok

• Sr. Citizen
  • the cutest beagle in the whole wide world!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2004, 08:10:39 PM »
well, i know you have already received lots of encouragement, but i am here to offer more!  my best friend's mother just graduated from law school.  she's an amazing woman who was a teacher for 25+ years, a single mom, and had already gone back to school for her master's in higher administration.  law school was always a dream for her, and she decided to go for it.  in conversations with her, i can tell that she is so happy that she did.  it sounds like the two of you are similar in that you already have a well established career that pays the bills.  the thing is, there is a lot more to life than just paying the bills.  if this is a dream that you have, i say go for it!  it sounds like you have some great work experience under your belt, and although your undergrad gpa seems fairly average, i will re-iterate what others have already said and point out that i believe your work and life experience will outweigh an outdated gpa.  go for it, have fun with it, and good luck!  i am sure you will shine!

john6675

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2004, 08:58:20 PM »
ionltd:

I want to live inside your avatar; it's beautiful.

JFK

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2004, 04:12:19 PM »
I dont know if this will help.  But my mother raised 6 kids and was a stay at home mom, and while the 6th was in 4th grade, she went to law school starting at age 48.  She went full time and I can not tell you how much she has changed because of it. My father was already a corporate lawyer so we she did not go for monetary purposes.  She is now a Deputy AG and loves her job.

You are running a successful business so the situation is not totally analogous, but I say go for it....if it is what you want. 

It has been said a million times but you have a 0% chance of getting in or succeeding in LS if you don't try.

ionltd

• Sunday Dinner
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2004, 07:44:25 PM »

It has been said a million times but you have a 0% chance of getting in or succeeding in LS if you don't try.

What a great story...especially as I'm sitting her studying wondering if I have even a morsel of a chance.

Thanks