Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My story...any advice appreciated  (Read 5261 times)

ionltd

• Sunday Dinner
    • View Profile
My story...any advice appreciated
« on: September 24, 2004, 12:37:12 AM »
I'm a 50 yo woman that owns a moderately successful small business manufacturing reproduction carousel horses and selling them to retailers around the world (we're on The Price is Right as a prize!!)

My undergrad is a BS in Medical Technology (3.2 gpa)and I worked in a hospital diagnostic lab for 14 years before starting my company where I've been for the last 14 years. (hmmmm, first time I've done the math...14 year itch?)

I've served on our area school board, raised 2 kids on our farm (my son's in med school and my daughter is finishing her masters then hopefully phd)and have been involved in many community activities.

ok...I want to sell my business and realize a life long dream of going to law school.  (I know you've heard it before a million times.

There is only one school within reasonable driving distance of where I live, so I've only got one shot.

Should I take the risk and go for it?  What are my chances?  We're finally financially and time ready.

Any help or comments appreciated...thanks

dr_draino

Re: My story...any advice appreciated
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 12:39:21 AM »
Go for it...one of my best friends mother went to law school in her mid-40s and has been having the time of her life since.

dgatl

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004, 01:03:01 AM »
if you want to pursue a lifelong dream, then go for it.  its a wonderful education.  the flipside is the job opportunities available to you upon graduation.  this will depend entirely on your person network and where you live.  you definitely have alot to offer firms, but the payoff may not be huge if you're settled down where you live and don't want to move.  you might want to consider chatting with people in your social circle that work in the legal profession and ask them. 

ionltd

• Sunday Dinner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 01:08:01 AM »
Thanks for the support.

What are my chances of acceptance? (remember I only have 1 school within driving distance) My gpa too low?  What do I need on the LSAT??

foxnewssucks

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 01:09:15 AM »
Thanks for the support.

What are my chances of acceptance? (remember I only have 1 school within driving distance) My gpa too low?  What do I need on the LSAT??

what is the school?

ionltd

• Sunday Dinner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2004, 01:14:10 AM »
U of I

dr_draino

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2004, 01:15:08 AM »
Iowa?  Illinois?  Idaho?

Go to www.lsac.org and find their list of ABA acredited law schools...they've got all sorts of info about ever school.

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2004, 01:19:27 AM »
Forget about your GPA.  The fact that you ran a successful business will be good replacement.  Adcomm know that some of the great learning experiences doesn't occur in  the classroom.  Your life experiences will suffice.   
Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.

ionltd

• Sunday Dinner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2004, 01:20:00 AM »
sorry...tunnel vision...Illinois

dr_draino

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2004, 01:23:57 AM »
You'll need a pretty decent LSAT...should shoot to break a 160 at the minimum, probably a little bit higher than that.  That's not blowing the roof off of it, and unless for some reason you just struggle with standardized tests, isn't that hard to acheive with a little preperation (and if the test comes natural to you, might be easy to do without any prep).  Look around the LSAC website...they've got a free LSAT that you can take to gauge where you're at on that and what not.