Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Class Sit-ins  (Read 613 times)

Alan Shore

• Sr. Citizen
  • All reality. None of it scripted.
    • View Profile
Class Sit-ins
« on: September 11, 2007, 12:18:52 PM »
I was just wondering if it's worth it to sit-in on a class.

For those who have done it, are you invisible, or do they actually call you out?
Was it worth it?

ADL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Class Sit-ins
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 04:18:56 PM »
I just sat in on my 1st class & i think it's definitely worth it.  i sat in the rear and wasn't asked any questions. i doubt that any questions would be asked in any 1st class that you sit in on b/c most 1st yr classes are socratic.  i'm glad that i did sit in on a class & tour the school b/c i got to see how the students interact w/the prof & each other in class & outside of class.
i would highly suggest you sit in on a few classes to see which school will be a good fit for you.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 04:25:51 PM »
if you make a trip to a school while class is in session you should definitely sit in on a class.  It is useful for a number of reasons: 1) it gives you an idea of the quality of students (unless the professor makes everyone scared to participate) 2) it introduces you to at least one professor and 3) it introduces you to the kind of classes you will be in for during the next three years.  To get the most out of the experience ask the professor to provide you with a copy of the case(s) or at least citation (if you already have an UG Lexis account) for the readings that will be discussed the day you are sitting in.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Alan Shore

• Sr. Citizen
  • All reality. None of it scripted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 09:03:22 PM »
Great! So far I have a sit-in scheduled for all schools I'm visiting.
Now I feel better about it. :)