Law School Discussion

Please Critique My List

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
Please Critique My List
« on: September 11, 2007, 08:29:51 AM »
My numbers or schools aren't as good as the rest listed, but I need a bit of help:

Caucasian Male, State School with 3.37 GPA (3.85 Major with climbing grade trends ending in straight As my last 3 semesters), 158 LSAT (85th percentile in my graduating class in college), Coached and taught Sunday School for extracurriculars, worked full time through school.  Wish to focus on elder law/estate law/family practice.

Top Pick
St. Johns University

Totally Acceptable
Catholic U.
Mercer
Hofstra
Suffolk
Albany

Safetys
NE School of Law
St. Thomas University
NOVA Southeastern
(might as well safety in the sun :))

Am I shooting too low or too high?  Princeton Review and US News are a bit at odds with numbers, and the school sites are biased.  If you have other suggested schools I'd appreciate it. Thanks guys.

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Please Critique My List
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 12:19:01 PM »
bump :(

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 08:09:05 PM »
compare your numbers vs LSN and apply early. If your median or above you've a good shot with your EC's. US news gets their numbers from the ABA I think. The rank order they come up with themselves, but the lsat/gpa numbers should be sound.

good luck

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 11:28:39 PM »
Most of your schools are good targets.  St. John's, Catholic, Hofstra, and Mercer all seem pretty good.  Albany would be a good safety.  If I was applying to T2 schools I'd go the public school route rather than private school.  Because while you have a good chance at those schools you probably won't get much money.  These seem to be all over the east coast so I'd look at east coast public schools as well (esp ones where you can get in-state tuition the second year).  What about FSU, South Carolina, Mississippi, Maine, LSU, Maryland?  Maryland is probably a reach, the others targets.

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 05:54:13 AM »
I thought Maine was T3, also, can't I get private loans, grad plus, etc?  I never used loans for my undergrad as I went to a state university.

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 12:02:23 PM »
yeah sure you could get loans from the government and whatnot.

i know that for graduate students, which law is included, you can take up to 115-140 thousand just on stafford loans alone. that range may be off, but i know it is over 100 thousand.

grad plus loans are great... ive taken out a lot of money through that.

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 09:24:16 AM »
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your #'s are below the median of St John's full time program. If you really want St John's, I'd strongly recommend retaking the LSAT if you can pick up a more points. Alternately, there's the part-time program... there are several people in my evening section that got into the PT program but couldn't get into the FT program. Of course, if you are a URM or have some other SIGNIFICANT soft-factors that mitigate your numbers, then maybe you'll be fine...
Good luck,
Rob
St John's PT evenings 1L

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 05:52:29 PM »
Perhaps I was mistaken to some degree with my previous assertion. Looking at last year's numbers on LSN, it appears that only one or two people with your index # were flat-out rejected, and many were accepted, some with $$$. Take a look for yourself... maybe your chances aren't as bad as I led on about. Still, consider retaking the LSAT and aim to pick up a few more points if you want more of a lock on getting in...
Rob
(Now back to the thrilling world of Contracts: Consideration as a Basis for Enforcement)

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 09:06:57 PM »
You got me really depressed today, as I'd poured over numbers :(.  Not retaking the LSAT, ill leave my acceptance to any school to the vicissitudes of fortune, and dance with her in failure and triumph :).  Plus Im applying early, and theres always the idiom that as long as you work hard, degrees of success will come.