Law School Discussion

Real Time with Bill Maher w/ Mos Def & Cornell West

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
Re: Real Time with Bill Maher w/ Mos Def & Cornell West
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2007, 07:40:03 PM »
it's a sexual position.

uh...oh...k well, naahhh still think its garbage...i like that "shawty" song though i was really trying not to but dude's got a flow with 'im

pls, straight gaaaaabage

LadyKD

• And so it began..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2007, 07:46:55 PM »
it's a sexual position.

uh...oh...k well, naahhh still think its garbage...i like that "shawty" song though i was really trying not to but dude's got a flow with 'im

Okay either I am just not up on my Karma Sutra or urban slang would someone please soulja boy... ???

7S

• Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2007, 07:51:49 PM »
I don't know if you guys watch the Bill Maher show on HBO but its one of my favorite things to watch on TV.  On his last show he messed around and had brothers Mos Def and Cornell West on his panel and they were clowning for the whole hour dang near. 

Even though Mos Def was throwing some crazy talk out there, he did make some good points on politics and government in general.  And they talk about the Jena 6 towards the end of the show in part 4.  Check it out:

WHAT?!  Did we watch the same show?  I thought he acted like an idiot.  Sure some valid points but they didn't make any sense in the context of the convo.   

I love Mos and Cornell West but they sounded crazy.  WTF did Paul Robeson have to do with Bush?  They sounded like "angry black men".  They turned everything into race.  Sure black ppl have a different outlook on the situation but dang.

I believe it had do with criminalizing dissenters for simply dissenting and how the Bush Administration has tried to label the insurgents in Iraq as terrorists when they are, in the eyes of many, only fighting American imperialism.

Cornel and Mos Def were on point-except about the bigfoot thing.

Kirk Lazarus

• I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2007, 07:54:06 PM »
I don't know if you guys watch the Bill Maher show on HBO but its one of my favorite things to watch on TV.  On his last show he messed around and had brothers Mos Def and Cornell West on his panel and they were clowning for the whole hour dang near. 

Even though Mos Def was throwing some crazy talk out there, he did make some good points on politics and government in general.  And they talk about the Jena 6 towards the end of the show in part 4.  Check it out:

WHAT?!  Did we watch the same show?  I thought he acted like an idiot.  Sure some valid points but they didn't make any sense in the context of the convo.   

I love Mos and Cornell West but they sounded crazy.  WTF did Paul Robeson have to do with Bush?  They sounded like "angry black men".  They turned everything into race.  Sure black ppl have a different outlook on the situation but dang.

I believe it had do with criminalizing dissenters for simply dissenting and how the Bush Administration has tried to label the insurgents in Iraq as terrorists when they are, in the eyes of many, only fighting American imperialism.

I hope you don't agree with most of what Mos Def was saying. I thought his most compelling point was that we've never been to the moon. I believe him.

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2007, 08:00:58 PM »
it's a sexual position.

Okay either I am just not up on my Karma Sutra or urban slang would someone please soulja boy... ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vum3qgoh0x4

7S

• Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2007, 08:05:34 PM »
I hope you don't agree with most of what Mos Def was saying. I thought his most compelling point was that we've never been to the moon. I believe him.

I believe in his overall premise.

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2007, 08:09:06 PM »

I'm sorry their comments were a bit of a stretch so much so that I was wondering where the real MOS and the real Cornell West were b/c surely these were just caricatures.  History's important but RELEVANT history is better.  IMHO, if you go too far back, you lose the argument; you def lose my attention.  The moon? Bigfoot?  Come on now, I understand the point but they really didn't have to use such ridiculous examples!  Talk about American imperialism now not the Red Scare as it related to black ppl.  I mean EVERYTHING they said was related to the struggle.   I'm one of the most Afrocentric people that you'd ever meet but they were ridiculous.  It just seemed like a contest-  how much black history can I fit into this segment w/o sounding like an idiot/ I want to prove that I know more than the guy next to me.  It made it seem like they didn't understand what was going on- the real issues.  

And how come it was just the 2 of them, anyway?  It's usually a panel of 3 + Bill.

LadyKD

• And so it began..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2007, 08:10:44 PM »
it's a sexual position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vum3qgoh0x4

Alright then soulja boy is a "entertainer" what the hell is superman tha hoe? MassaO said it was a sexual position...and if it is I have a real problem with all these kids on the video bouncing around to superman tha hoe..

7S

• Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2007, 08:11:51 PM »

I'm sorry their comments were a bit of a stretch so much so that I was wondering where the real MOS and the real Cornell West were b/c surely these were just caricatures.  History's important but RELEVANT history is better.  IMHO, if you go too far back, you lose the argument; you def lose my attention.  The moon? Bigfoot?  Come on now, I understand the point but they really didn't have to use such ridiculous examples!  Talk about American imperialism now not the Red Scare as it related to black ppl.  I mean EVERYTHING they said was related to the struggle.   I'm one of the most Afrocentric people that you'd ever meet but they were ridiculous.  It just seemed like a contest-  how much black history can I fit into this segment w/o sounding like an idiot/ I want to prove that I know more than the guy next to me.  It made it seem like they didn't understand what was going on- the real issues.   

And how come it was just the 2 of them, anyway?  It's usually a panel of 3 + Bill.

I thought mos was funny. I mean it isn't PBS.

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2007, 08:19:37 PM »
you? Afrocentric??? Really???

I'm one of the most Afrocentric people that you'd ever meet