Law School Discussion

Personal Statements...to address why you want to go or not

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
Personal Statements...to address why you want to go or not
« on: September 10, 2007, 01:44:25 PM »
I was under the impression that the Admission Boards would understand that you wanted to go to law school by your applying to law school, and by the typical "why do you want to go to this school" paragraph.  Therefore your personal statement should be a unique declaration on who you are. However many that I've read deal heavily with why they want to be lawyers, rather then explaining personal growth or personal values.  I dont know whether or not to rewrite a typical "Why I want to go" essay, or use mine which is a down-to-earth essay on personal growth through literature.  Thoughts?

papercranes

• Beer Lao. Why did I leave and come to law school?
    • View Profile
Re: Personal Statements...to address why you want to go or not
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 01:48:56 PM »
I don't have anything constructive to add. I've been writing a PS that doesn't at all address "Why law?/why I want to be a lawyer".
I'm going for a "here's a quirky thing about my life and how it shows what sort of person I am" result. We'll see how that goes.
But I have read a number of PSs that end with: and that's why I want to go to law school.
I'm worried.

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 02:00:30 PM »
Im tempted to think that anything different that reflects the strength of the applicant will be positive.  Its like everyone has an opinion, which leads me to believe theres no right one :(

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 03:33:54 PM »
I agree. I wrote mine as a narrative/memoir demonstrating character. I found it stronger without a statement saying why I would be succesful in law school or why I wanted to attend law school. I thought doing so would be redundant and would weaken the ending of my ps. The people who have critiqued my personal statement have all said something along the lines of "i thought it was well-written, but you have to talk about why you want to go to law school."

I picked up a book at B&N called "law school essays that worked." In it, many people did NOT address why they wanted to go to law school, or made any mention of law school, for that matter. I think the personal statement, is exactly as it sounds. It is a reflection of you, on a personal level. I believe I've done that without mentioning law school or why I would be succesful in law school.

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 06:37:36 PM »
I made  my essay open enough so that  can conclude it with either, a conclusion of what I have become as a person, or why I am interested in law.  I think most people just have a general template, like the people above stated, and work with that depending on a school.

JGO

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 01:46:49 PM »
Try mixing it up with both.  But I suggest you follow their rules and if what they want to hear is 'why you want to go to their law school etc.' then do it!