Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pitt or Duquesne --- Criminal Law???  (Read 1609 times)

muharulz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Pitt or Duquesne --- Criminal Law???
« on: September 09, 2007, 11:37:42 AM »
hi, washington dc graduate student here wanting to go back home to pittsburgh. i have a quick question though... im not interested in biglaw, more interested in prosecuting criminal law at home.

my issue is whether pitt or duquesne would be a better school for criminal law. duquesne is a tier 4 now (why i dont know) but they have clearly more options for someone interested in criminal law than pitt does... more classes, more clinics, better ties to the the allegheny co. DA, us attorneys office, and the PA attorney general.

i most likely cant get into pitt because of my numbers (150,3.4) but i can get into duquesne. is pitt a better school on all levels than duquesne or is pitt just better at biglaw than duquesne?

pdt07

• View Profile
Re: Pitt or Duquesne --- Criminal Law???
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 04:57:05 PM »
Unless you are already wealthy, go to the cheapest one possible.  I'd apply to more schools near where you could see yourself working and hope for money (although I don't see that happening with your numbers).

muharulz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 05:34:36 PM »
the only law schools that are really in my area are pitt, duquesne, wvu, psu, and akron.

pitt will surely say no as will psu and akron

duquesne and wvu will be the only two, but i dont know how wvu is with career

this is my second go-round with this and i only got accepted to duquesne part-time, but i decided to get a masters degree at american instead.

muharulz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 01:09:56 AM »
bump

muharulz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 03:08:24 PM »
yeah, i plan on living there for the immediate future and most likely forever... im planning on running for office later in life and i have a lot of political experience in the area. nice to see someone knows senator orie too.

honestly, im really unsure if ill get any money... my numbers just arent good enough and im unwilling to take the lsat again (time restraints, masters comp preparation, and it would be my third time)

im applying full time there, but im willing to go part time as well. i actually got into duquesne part time before i did my congressional internship and my masters, so im 100% positive ill at least get part time.

P. Pius

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 12:00:14 AM »
Duquesne is a solid school.  I've heard good things about it from several difft people.  Oustide of the Pitt area I don't know if it carries much weight...but if you're planning on staying in the area for a while, you should be fine.

Good luck
In like Flint (Accepted):  South Texas, St. Mary's
Out on a limb (Pending):  Arizona State, Southwestern, Oregon
Better luck next time (Denial): 

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=runnerxc8888

muharulz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 12:08:35 AM »
yeah, im getting my masters at american university in american politics.

i dunno... do i know you????

muharulz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 12:16:27 AM »
no its cool... coming from my undergrad, american is a giant improvement, so i could care less if georgetown or gwu guys bash au. im fine with american for now, but honestly i cant stand DC anymore.

muharulz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 12:23:18 AM »
no ill agree to that about grad students living in dc... most of au students live in bethesda, chevy chase, or silver spring with intermittence to the north of mass ave. i live on connecticut myself.

yeah well about gwu... they pay out the ass for tuition, so they shouldnt really talk too much about what degree matters compared to other dc schools.

i had some fun times here and some downers... im ready to get the hell out.

muharulz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 12:44:53 AM »
i think a lot of it has to do with the sheer numbers of people and also the demeanor of many of them. i find that DC is a much ruder place than the pittsburgh area by far. im from just north of pittsburgh originally and that lifestyle there is much slower and nicer.

also, many people here have this false sense of entitlement, which i absolutely hate. its like i should bow down to you and kiss your feet cause you graduated from harvard in undergrad or you are a LC for a congressman. gimme a break.