Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: At what point is a hispanic no longer hispanic?  (Read 2063 times)

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
At what point is a hispanic no longer hispanic?
« on: September 09, 2007, 09:57:34 AM »
when they no longer speak spanish?

no longer have a spanish last name?
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: At what point is a hispanic no longer hispanic?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 11:44:20 AM »
i have a latina friend, and the onlu hispanic thing about her is her last name.

thats why im curious.  so many people panic that were getting taking over, and they just dont seem to realize that the hispanics will integrate just like those that came b4.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: At what point is a hispanic no longer hispanic?
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 08:08:29 AM »
White people have interesting and needed viewpoints and study varied subjects as well, without the beneft of a 10 point LSAT boost... why should they be different in this realm of which we are speaking?  If this commentary were true, then anyone who could contribute a unique or needed viewpoint should be extended the same URM benefits that latinos are.

PS - Im a white looking person, and I hardly ever incur the detriment of hearing people "spew" racist comments.  This rampant and blatant racism you speak of simply doesn't exist anymore by educated people, which would be the only people that matter in the grand scheme of this country.

I agree, white people do have interesting and needed viewpoints, and depending upon how that's translated in a personal statement, "lsat boosts" are made.  My white friend grew up on a rice farm in rural texas, no one in his family went to college, and suffered any number of extraordinary hardships.  His acceptances definitely exceeded his raw numerical projection. 

I'm also "white looking" and live in Mississippi.  Trust me, I hear my fair shair of latino-directed racism... If i'm working at my job and a story about mexicans comes on the news, I expect to hear the person i'm helping start talking about how "we" need to send them all back.

You're right, this may not be the norm around "educated people", but many of us do not live around many educated people.  In fact it can still be a nasty world outside of the bubble.

aint that the truth!   >:(