Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How do my fellow asians feel about AA?  (Read 15748 times)

vtjas81

• View Profile
    • Email
How do my fellow asians feel about AA?
« on: September 07, 2007, 10:20:59 PM »
I always hear from the perspective between white and black.  I'd like to hear from the other side as well, the minorities who aren't considered disadvantaged minorities.  I'd like to begin with my background; typical middle class immigrant family.  My family never pushed or encouraged me to study or anything.  In fact, I sucked all the way up until high school. I'd like to hear how you guys feel about the common arguments for AA.  It be nice to have diversity in the classroom but not at the expense of equal opportunity

1) Lack of minorities in faculty discourages minorities to pursue certain fields.

me:  I was only one of few asians in most of my classes.  It didn't bother me really, and I never felt intiminated.

2) Lack of role models

me: Pshh.. who needs role models anyways, never have never will.

3)  Tests are biased against minorities

me: My family always spoke chinese at home.  When I first looked at the LSATS I was so confused with conditional statements and formal logic but after studying my ass off I see some major improvements.  A little bit of studying and dedication can make up for a lot.

4)  Many minorities have been discriminated

me:  I haven't, at least I hope I didn't...

5)  Many minorities grew up in a culture that discouraged education

me: true my parents never gave a sh** about my school work.  They rather have me work and make money.   
Gpa: 3.44
Lsat: 165
applied: BC,BU,USC,UCLA,W&M,Fordham,Emory,GW, Hastings, Davis

ANBUDOM

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How do my fellow asians feel about AA?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 01:59:41 AM »
4)  Many minorities have been discriminated

me:  I haven't, at least I hope I didn't...

I been discriminated primarily by other minority groups... funny how minorities love bitching about racism but they'll be the first to use racial slurs
testing testing 1 2 3

giveme170

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 06:11:37 AM »
In my opinion, racism exists everywhere, especially in urban areas where there are many groups of different ethnic backgrounds. However, I also think it largely depends on how sensitive you are toward the general idea of being segregated. Some people do not really care and even treat direct racist comments and discrimination as something equal to other types of negative remarks that could happen from day to day (among people of same ethnic background, that is). But some others (like me, ahem) tend to take things personal and get offended. The particular moments I notice racism is when a person of other ethnic background does not like me (not necessarily because of my racial background), then my being Asian adds another reason to justify their hatred (as it becomes obvious when that person gets into verbal fight with me lol). I do not really buy the idea of minorities being discriminated in school system or any type of test, since Asian Americans are comparatively doing better (by numbers and proportion) than whites in many fields. I guess it also depends on many other things, such as how Americanized your parents are or what country you are from. (we are not all the same!) Anyways, just had to say few things I always had in my mind regarding the topic. hehe

vtjas81

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 11:48:10 AM »
The particular moments I notice racism is when a person of other ethnic background does not like me (not necessarily because of my racial background), then my being Asian adds another reason to justify their hatred (as it becomes obvious when that person gets into verbal fight with me lol)

That's quite blatent there.  What made him so pissed off?
Gpa: 3.44
Lsat: 165
applied: BC,BU,USC,UCLA,W&M,Fordham,Emory,GW, Hastings, Davis

jalex519

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 11:10:07 PM »
Ethically I am not sure that AA is appropriate, but I do believe that it has helped me at some point or another in my life and as such, I can't harp on it without being a hypocrite.
2L and counting...

devilishlyblue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 03:36:33 PM »
Sure you can.  Clarence Thomas and Richard Rodriguez are two prominent opponents of affirmative action who both openly acknowledge that they benefitted from its existence.  First, affirmative action is virtually unavoidable.  It's not as if Stanford tells students that it's willing to admit them on affirmative action and gives them the option of declining.  Second, Thomas at least reports feeling as if his accomplishments were cheapened by affirmative action.

Most importantly, I don't think there's any philosophical reason that one should feel obligated to support things that benefit him.  Obama is in favor of tax increases despite benefitting from low rates (compared to what he advocates).  "I deserve a tax increase."  Many rich people oppose repealing the estate tax; many immigrants think excessive immigration harms the country, etc.  Tedy Bruschi is undoubtedly frustrated by Spygate and probably supports banning sideline cameras.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 02:57:05 PM »
I agree with the last poster.  I don't think that any should feel that their accomplishments were diminished b/c of AA, because for all they know they could have done it all based on merit.  I do feel that AA doesn't address the real problems in the US-namely working to educate and improve living conditions for the lower class.  AA (if at all) should look at a person's socio-economic background, instead of just their skin color.  Diversity is great, but America was founded on the principle that a person succeeds (or fails) through their efforts and not because of who they are. 

AnnCulture

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 03:25:56 AM »
There are 2 things I hate in life.....Racism

and minorities
Invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity.

jalex519

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 09:05:02 AM »
There are 2 things I hate in life.....Racism

and minorities

lol
2L and counting...

awesomepossum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Playing possum can go too far
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 10:05:11 PM »
I think we Asians have nothing to female dog about and don't really need any special AA treatment.
U.Michigan 2011 (deferred from '10)