Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Loyola (CA) or Univ. San Diego  (Read 2788 times)

mpk

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Loyola (CA) or Univ. San Diego
« on: June 04, 2003, 11:18:07 PM »
HI, I'm just wondering if anyone knows which is considered the "better school".  US News and World Report ranks USD higher, but people (in los angeles) are telling me that Loyola has a better reputation.  But then again, i don't know anyone who has gone to USD to get the other side of the story (nor do i know what either school's reputation is in the city of San Diego). Does anyone have any comments on this subject?  Any information would be very helpful.  Thanks!

monty

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Loyola (CA) or Univ. San Diego
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2003, 02:11:24 PM »
Well I had a 160 and 3.4 and i got into loyola but was only wait listed to san diego.  Don't really know what that means though.  This year has been really tough hasn't it.  

Loyola is a decent school and san diego is too.  I'm in the same boat... don't really know which school i should go to if i get off the wait list.  What i do know though is that san diego's campus is really nice and loyola's sucks.  

Trent

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2003, 10:35:33 PM »
I just looked at USN&WR rankings... when did USD get into the second tier?  I know Santa Clara entered the 2nd tier  a recently, but i always thought loyola was the only second tier school in CA before that.  In any case, I think loyola has a stronger reputation as a consistent 2nd tier school with lots of alumni in LA.  but then again, you could see San Diego as an up-and-coming school since they now outrank loyola.  You should visit the schools.

anon

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2003, 06:34:00 AM »
I graduated from USD law school, for what that's worth.  If I had to do it all over again, I'd go to USD.  USD has a good reputation in San Diego, with lots of alums there.  So, if you want to stay in San Diego, go to USD.  Conversely, if you like LA, well, then go to Loyola.  Personally, the LA traffic would drive me nuts.  As a general comment, I think people spend too much time worrying about law school "rankings."  Chances are you'll be more than challenged, wherever you go.

Borzin Cyrus Khadivi

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2003, 12:29:30 PM »
Hey whats up everyone.

I am applying to law schools in the fall, and I want to stay in So. California--preferably San Diego. With a 2.9-3.1 GPA, and an LSAT score of 162-164 can I get into USD? Loyola? Santa Clara?

I would love to go to USD, but hear they are raising the bar. My GPA is not very good, but I plan on completely handling the LSATs. Can someone tell me my chances of USD? Loyola?Santa Clara? with the given numbers.

And for what its worth, I am involved in a fraternity, internships, on-campus judicial board, etc.

Thanks, and if possible can someone email me with precise info because I check this site on an irregular basis.

richard_grieco

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2003, 07:20:39 PM »
Santa Clara is in Northern Cali.

Cyrus

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2003, 01:39:39 PM »
Can someone give me the chances of admission to USD, Loyola, USF and Santa Clara based on my GPA (crappy 2.9-3.1) and LSAT score of 163-165? Thanks

ABC

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2003, 06:17:31 PM »
I'd speculate that your chances are fair, given your LSAT and GPA.

lp4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • super genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2003, 10:00:54 AM »
I'm still waitlisted at Loyola (fall, evening) with a 2.61 (engineering), a 156 LSAT, 6 years as an engineer, and lots of outside business development experience.  I'm in at Southwestern (but my Dad is alumni -- not sure how this effected my chances).

My coworker is in at Loyola (fall, evening) with 3.3 (engineering), 166 LSAT, 2 years as an engineer, and 1.5 years working with the US Patent Office.

Hope this gives you a couple of useful data points.  Good luck.

Lance
"What we do in life...echoes in eternity." -- Gladiator

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2003, 11:39:45 AM »
mpk,
I believe that USD serves as a better rep in those parts of Cali

Cyrus,
Your chances to be admitted is very likely with your numbers just write a stellar essay and a great unique personal statement with very good letters of rec and you'll jump the medians. Hope this helps.
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141