Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2001 Grad - 2 Professional LOR ok?  (Read 1437 times)

drleather2001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
2001 Grad - 2 Professional LOR ok?
« on: September 06, 2007, 11:24:49 AM »
I graduated college in 2001, and did not keep in touch with any of my professors.  At the time, I had no inclination to attend grad school of any sort, much less law school.  I ended up with a 3.1 GPA, which thankfully is not bad enough to kill my hopes of going to law school now.

My question is this:  I have done well, professionally, since I left school.  I've had two jobs, both in the same industry and in a similar role, and have risen from temp worker to Coordinator to Manager (and by the time I send in my applications, possibly Senior Manager) in that time.  I am leaning toward getting LOR from one of my old bosses at my previous job and a LOR from my boss at my current job, who has told me herself that Law School would be an excellent choice for me.   Both are Vice Presidents, so I feel that they have enough seniority to make their words of recommendation credible.   I am also certain both would write very solid LOR on my behalf.

The problem is that I would then have no academic LOR.  I've heard some people say that one academic LOR is required, but I sincerely can't think of any prof. who could give me anything better than a generic LOR, and even then I wouldn't be comfortable.

What do you think?  I could probably get a LOR from the university registrar, who knew me well in college as I worked for him for 3 years, but that's not the same as a professor, although it is academic-related.

Thanks!
"If Mars had life on it // I might find my wife on it!"
-Brian Wilson

paratactical

• Sr. Citizen
  • int3rn3t bff
    • View Profile
Re: 2001 Grad - 2 Professional LOR ok?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 11:45:51 AM »
baff

drleather2001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 01:04:04 PM »
Excuse me?
-Brian Wilson

drleather2001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 02:11:24 PM »
Thanks!

Also, as an aside, why would someone want to baff/tag a message?
-Brian Wilson

paratactical

• Sr. Citizen
  • int3rn3t bff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 02:20:21 PM »
Because I'm in the same boat and wanted to see what feedback you'd get.

drleather2001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 02:47:09 PM »
Oh, cool.

Good luck! When did/will you take the LSAT?  I'm signed up for Dec. 1st. I'm hoping my work experience at least somewhat offsets my low GPA.

-Brian Wilson

NewGirl2007

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 12:46:16 AM »
I am sooo glad you wrote this question!  :) I created an account here just so I could ask the same question. I've been out of school for almost 10 years, had a great career, but have decided to do law school now. My grades in college were a 4.0 and I was ranked 1 out of more than 3000 students. So depending on my LSAT...

I was really worried about the academic recommendations because since I left, my university no longer offers my degree! So all my professors are gone and I can't reach them. :'( But I have great professional recommendations!

I will be interested to see other people's responses too...

JimmyO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 11:14:44 AM »
I'm in a somewhat similar boat as a 2000 grad... But fortunately I do have a few professors I kept in touch with and are willing to write a LoR (sent them the forms yesterday in fact).

I have one professional reference, but I'm wondering if that's enough?

Is having one (professional) recommender to sum up the last 7 years of my life enough? What does an adcomm care more about in the LoRs? Academics explaining what I was like almost a decade ago or a professional who can attest to how I am now? Or will my resume speak for itself? (Increasing responsibility, management, etc.)

NewGirl2007

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 12:59:56 PM »
Are you sure you can't find them?  I graduated 21 years ago, called my old department (knowing all my profs were passed or retired, and, lo and behold, the current department chair put out a call to my old (now retired) adviser.  He emailed me and is thrilled to write me a LOR.  So you really don't have any thing to lose by trying.

Wow, what a great idea! Thanks for the suggestion. :) I did look out and found someone who remembered me and was thrilled to write one too. Hurray!