Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: certified financial planner interested in law school  (Read 1136 times)

cfplaw

• View Profile
certified financial planner interested in law school
« on: September 05, 2007, 05:35:26 PM »
I posted this in the applications forum, but got no response.  I figured someone over here may have a better idea-

First post here, but I've already gleaned alot from the board so thanks to all who contribute.

I know that law school admissions are based primarily on numbers with soft factors being secondary.  So, all things being equal, if someone is applying to a school and is above the median or even in the 25th percentile of LSAT and GPA for said school, will having a professional designation like the CFP with 5 years of work experience help with an extra bump for admissions and/or scholarship?  Anyone have any experience or knowledge in this arena?

scottie

• View Profile
Re: certified financial planner interested in law school
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 08:54:45 AM »
I don't have experience or knowledge, but if you want my two cents, I would think that most folks applying who are over 25 have significant work experience and designations.  You will be in the same boat as many others in that regard.  I will have 17+ years of work experience in a professional field and a masters degree when I apply.  Most non-trads will have soft factors of experience and extra degrees or certifications to place on their resumes.  That's why we are all so special.  Well that, and our need for dentures and Depends :) 
----------------------------------
Why am I doing this again?
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=scottieUT

cfplaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 11:23:34 AM »
That's a good point.  I guess any quality non-traditional student will have extra degrees and/or certificates.  Assuming that, the question then shifts to the one that everyone always asks of, "Do non-traditional students have any advantage over traditional students?"  I guess I'll find out soon enough.

cfplaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 12:40:54 PM »
If you're friend can pass the bar, I'm certain he pass the CFP with adequate study.  I'm hoping that I can leverage the CFP background to get into probate or tax law(although a CPA would be more helpful for taxes), but I really can't find much information about this.  I have found plenty of estate attorneys that have the CFP, but there is very little information about job prospects or the path they took to get where they are.  I'm going to have to go the networking route and just start meeting some of these folks and asking them their story. However, I'm pretty sure I'm going to find that most of them did the JD before the CFP.  There doesn't seem to be many CFPs that go after the JD.

simonsays

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 09:37:47 PM »

it's going to depend on the caliber of school.  at some it may help, at others it may in fact hurt.  largely i don't think it will play a factor.  my gut feeling is to not overemphasize this as a nontrad, but to focus on accumulated worldly wisdom.

cfplaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 10:18:54 PM »
I could see it being a non-factor, but do you know where and why would it hurt? 

scottie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 11:41:24 AM »
Either way, I wish you the very best in your application process and your goals in your legal career.  I am a big fan of all the other non-trads out there!  I certainly never intended to rain on your parade.  If you have any suggestions for really good money managers I would appreciate it.
----------------------------------
Why am I doing this again?
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=scottieUT