Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I apply NOW or WAIT another year- to score a higher LSAT???  (Read 1806 times)

Ana.C

• View Profile
    • Email
Should I apply NOW or WAIT another year- to score a higher LSAT???
« on: September 05, 2007, 03:55:38 PM »
I cannot attend law school unless I am getting a substantial scholarship. (((My top law school is Univ.of Oregon.))) If I get in, but I do not get a scholarship, I need to refuse their acceptance, and wait another year- so I can retake the LSAT and reapply. Is whether my refusal to attend their school for 2008, going to affect the admissions decision to accept me the following year?  My chances for a $$$ now are low with my LSAT. Should I apply anyway or should I just wait until next year and apply then? Are they going to feel offended that I refused to attend their school? Thank you. Ana

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Should I apply NOW or WAIT another year- to score a higher LSAT???
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 06:26:19 PM »
I cannot attend law school unless I am getting a substantial scholarship. (((My top law school is Univ.of Oregon.))) If I get in, but I do not get a scholarship, I need to refuse their acceptance, and wait another year- so I can retake the LSAT and reapply. Is whether my refusal to attend their school for 2008, going to affect the admissions decision to accept me the following year?  My chances for a $$$ now are low with my LSAT. Should I apply anyway or should I just wait until next year and apply then? Are they going to feel offended that I refused to attend their school? Thank you. Ana

I would meet with an admissions person there and explain your situation.

However, most people take out loans to cover law school expenses. 

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 07:19:41 PM »
Oregon doesn't give out a lot of money - something to consider.

You might look at Lewis and Clark. They offer full rides for higher LSATs (168+).
Cady on October 16, 2007, 10:41:52 PM

i rhink tyi'm inejying my fudgcicle too much

Huey on February 07, 2007, 11:15:32 PM

I went to a party in an apartment in a silo once.

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 09:34:20 PM »
I'd go now and take out loans. Chances are it will cost less than the lost future income of waiting another year...

HLS 2010

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 01:06:05 PM »
I'd go now and take out loans. Chances are it will cost less than the lost future income of waiting another year...

Well, the cost usually runs about $150K.  What percentage of graduates make that much starting out?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying lost future income, standing alone, doesn't seem to justify blowing off a chance at a scholarships. The question to me is the likelihood of significant improvement on the LSAT. 

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 06:17:43 PM »
I dunno about UO, but 3L's here seem to have offers in the 165 range for major cities and 140 range for secondary markets. Do note that total debt isn't the correct number to think about in this case, but rather the difference in expected debt if the scholarship is realized. Lets say tuition is $30k and year and you get a full tuition scholarship, then your looking at a $90k difference.

Also, to just look at the first year is only valid if you expect your post-law-school salary to remain more or less static, if you expect it to go up every year then you'd have to factor that in as well. Say you expect a $20k raise/yr then you've got whatever your expected salary is (lets say $140k -  current salary + 20k x however many years you plan to practice). An imperfect model to be sure, but it illustrates the principle involved I think:)

HLS 2010

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 05:47:43 PM »
I dunno about UO, but 3L's here seem to have offers in the 165 range for major cities and 140 range for secondary markets.

With all due respect, you can't compare HLS to anything but peer schools. 

Do note that total debt isn't the correct number to think about in this case, but rather the difference in expected debt if the scholarship is realized. Lets say tuition is $30k and year and you get a full tuition scholarship, then your looking at a $90k difference.

Yes, and if you get a full-ride scholarship, than you're looking at a $150k difference, with no debt.

Also, to just look at the first year is only valid if you expect your post-law-school salary to remain more or less static, if you expect it to go up every year then you'd have to factor that in as well. Say you expect a $20k raise/yr then you've got whatever your expected salary is (lets say $140k -  current salary + 20k x however many years you plan to practice). An imperfect model to be sure, but it illustrates the principle involved I think:)

Similarly, you need to look at the real cost of borrowing $100K (or $150K).  With interest, that could end up being more like $200K.  If you're not at biglaw, you also won't realize those huge raises, even if you start near market.

All things to consider.  All things considered, it almost never makes sense to start right away when you have a chance to attend a better school (or get a significant scholarship) by waiting a year.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 09:00:42 PM »
How much can you spend per year on tuition/fees?

Are you a resident of Oregon?

What is your GPA and current LSAT score?

Addressing these questions will better help someone to comment on your situation.