Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Soft Skills for Lawyers - how topical?  (Read 1878 times)

GG

• View Profile
Soft Skills for Lawyers - how topical?
« on: September 04, 2007, 07:05:01 AM »
Guys

Have you noticed that more and more articles are appearing on the legal press about the importance of soft skills for lawyers? By this I mean skills such as verbal and non-verbal communication (including body language), etiquette, delegation & project management, marketing, public speaking and time & stress management.

It is probably true that during law school we do not really develop all the skills we will need in our careers as lawyers. It seems in fact that the ability to deal with people effectively and politely is just as important as, if not more important than, technical skills.

A comprehensive book on this topic, called "Soft Skills for Lawyers", has also been published. It is written by a qualified lawyer and is available to buy from www.chelseapublishing.com. A free preview of the book can also be downloaded from that website and I hope it will be of help!

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Soft Skills for Lawyers - how topical?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 08:15:06 AM »
ban this clown please
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
Re: Soft Skills for Lawyers - how topical?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 04:25:23 PM »
As an atty. I tell you that soft skills really help. Most attys know the technicalities or at least how to find them. But how do you teach an attorney that it's important to smile? Or better yet how about all these young attorneys have no practical life experience. They don't know an MRI from a CT scan; a car hitch from a bumper; a divorce from an annulment; Wellbutrin from Flexeril; a starter from an alternator; have never bought a house; and some have never bought a car and would not know good loan rates from bad. Soft skills are simply life experience.
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.