Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Prep Test 31, Section 2, # 13 &19 LR  (Read 285 times)

P. Pius

• View Profile
Prep Test 31, Section 2, # 13 &19 LR
« on: September 04, 2007, 01:06:34 AM »
13)  Studies have shown that, contrary to popular belief, middle-aged people have more fear of dying than do elderly people.

Each of the following, if true, contributes to an explanation of the phenomenon shown by the studies EXCEPT:

A)  The longer one lives, the more likely it is that one has come to terms with dying.
B)  Middle-aged people have more people dependent upon them than people of any other age group.
C)  Many people who suffer from depression first become depressed in middle age.
D)  The longer one lives, the more imperturbable one becomes.
E)  Middle-aged people have a more acute sense of their own mortality than do people of any other age group.

The correct ans here is C...but for the life of me I can't figure out how this answers the question.  Is it because it has no impact on the stimulus?

19)  If the flowers Drew received today had been sent by someone who knows Drew well, that person would have known that Drew prefers violets to roses.  Yet Drew received roses.  On the other hand, if the flowers had been sent by someone who does not know Drew well, then that person would have sent a signed card with the flowers.  Yet Drew received no card.  Therefore, the florist must have made some sort of mistake; either Drew was supposed to receive violets, or a card, or these flowers were intended for someone else.

Which one of the following statements, if true, most weakens the argument?

A)  Most people send roses when they send flowers.
B)  Some people send flowers for a reason other than the desire to please.
C)  Someone who does not know Drew well would be unlikely to send Drew flowers.
D)  The florist has never delivered the wrong flowers to Drew before.
E)  Some people who know Drew well have sent Drew cards along with flowers.

I chose D, but the correct response is B.  Any insight??  Thanks for the help!
In like Flint (Accepted):  South Texas, St. Mary's
Out on a limb (Pending):  Arizona State, Southwestern, Oregon
Better luck next time (Denial): 

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=runnerxc8888