Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: double major and a minor vs. one major and two minors  (Read 1073 times)

pinkcheese

• View Profile
double major and a minor vs. one major and two minors
« on: September 03, 2007, 09:10:25 PM »
Hi, guys,

So ... from the perspective of law school admissions, is having a double-major preferred? Both are humanities (history, linguistics). Or is having a major in one and a minor in the other good enough? I also have a minor in something else.

(I am shooting for top 5)

Thanks.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
Re: double major and a minor vs. one major and two minors
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 09:34:04 AM »
Hi, guys,

So ... from the perspective of law school admissions, is having a double-major preferred? Both are humanities (history, linguistics). Or is having a major in one and a minor in the other good enough? I also have a minor in something else.

(I am shooting for top 5)

Thanks.

I would be WAY more worried about having a 3.75+ GPA and a 175+ LSAT if you want to lock a top 5 law school.... not much else matters.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

Hannibal

• Sr. Citizen
  • I love it when a plan comes together
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 12:19:16 PM »
I'll see your double major + minor, and raise you another major.

Attending: Stanford
In: Yale, Stanford, Harvard, Chicago($$$), Berkeley, Michigan($$$$), Columbia($$$$), Penn($$$$), Virginia($$$$), Duke($$$$), Northwestern($$$$)

Eveman in Ingmarland

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 12:54:17 PM »
This is kind of a silly question.

Since there is no pre-law major, why don't you just pursue a course of study that you enjoy, are interested in, and are challenged by?

Having two majors is not really harder than having one, so I don't know that graduating with them proves much of anything.

Yes, if they are in radically different fields, that would it least be a nice conversation starter, but you could get the same effect by taking upper devision classes outside your college - the classes will go on your transcript anyway, so what's the difference?

California_RedRaider

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 02:42:18 PM »
It really doesn't matter. What matters most is your overall GPA. 

If you have an average GPA with your double major, etc. it can look bad. It may look like you were taking a bunch of extra classes just to boister your GPA and ended up with another major. I don't know how adcomms think, but it can be both good and bad. But I don't think it will give you any extra momentum if you don't have a good balance of strong GPA, great LSAT and personal statement. I also think it may be bad if you have a double major and minor and no extra-curricular activities. BALANCE is very important. If you have everything I stated above, go for your double major. Why not?

But remember, GPA is key. If you have just a major no minor and a 4.0 GPA with extracurriculars, etc. it looks better than a major and double minor with a 3.5 GPA and average to no extra-curriculars, etc. 

Good Luck.