Law School Discussion

$$$

$$$
« on: September 03, 2007, 07:07:45 PM »
How much did you/do you plan to spend on applications?

rtqw

• Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: $$$
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 07:31:28 PM »
A bit under $500 to apply to 16 schools. It helped that about ten gave me fee waivers and two charged no application fee.

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 08:26:49 PM »

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 09:56:54 PM »
Are these need or merit-based fee waivers that you all received?  If you fill out a need-based waiver, how likely is a college student to get it?  I filled out my own tax report last year, probably worked about 10-20 hours/week during the school year and about 60 hours/wk last summer.  Would I need to send in my parents' tax forms as well? 

rtqw, which schools charged no application fee? 

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 10:15:43 PM »
Are these need or merit-based fee waivers that you all received?  If you fill out a need-based waiver, how likely is a college student to get it?  I filled out my own tax report last year, probably worked about 10-20 hours/week during the school year and about 60 hours/wk last summer.  Would I need to send in my parents' tax forms as well? 

Most of my fee wavers are need based. And there is no school that doesn't wave application fees based on need. I suggest you get an LSAC fee waiver, it satisfies any need based info that a school might request, hence making the process much easier. It is also quite easy to receive.

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 11:44:09 PM »

Mine are merit-based.  I don't make enough to even have to file taxes, but I don't think my situation is really what the need-based waiver is intended for so I'm not going go asking for it.

We're in sort of the same boat. Basically, all of my income right now is of the capital gains variety, so I have, like, no cash on hand. Although I don't really think of myself as poor, and am thus not going to apply to fee wavers.

But I'm wondering if, philosophically, the argument that the people who the program was not intended to serve should not utilize it really holds up. I mean, it's not like you're taking a dollar out of the hands of a less advantaged applicant - even if LSAC had to charge more to compensate for waiver abuse, it's not like people who could otherwise not afford to pay would then have to find a way to come up with the cash.

And honestly, isn't there something to be said for withholding as many dollars as possible from an exploitive bureaucracy like LSAC?

t L

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 10:34:44 AM »
I think it's about $1100, but depending on my LSAT score, I'm seriously thinking about cutting out some schools just because I don't want to spend that much money.

rtqw

• Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 10:36:04 AM »

All mine were merit based - can't speak to the likelyhood of getting need-based fee waivers.

George Mason and Washington & Lee both charged zero application fee, but one or both of them required  an online application (in order to avoid the fee).