Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Prep Test 11, Sect 2, #21 LR  (Read 790 times)

P. Pius

• View Profile
Prep Test 11, Sect 2, #21 LR
« on: September 03, 2007, 06:54:20 PM »
A society in which there are many crimes, such as thefts and murders, should not be called "lawless".  That is an abuse of the meaning of words.  As a suffix, "-less" means "without", so "lawless" means "without laws".  However, a society that has no laws has no crimes, because no laws can be broken.  A lawless society would, therefore, be a crimeless society.  So what some have termed a lawless society should actually be called "crimeful".

If the statements in the passage are true, which one of the following must also be true?

A)  A society that has laws has crimes
B)  A society that has no crimes has no laws
C)  A society that has many laws has many crimes
D)  A society that has some crimes has some laws
E)  A society that has many crimes has many laws

The correct answer choice is D.  However, I selected answer choice B...but I'm thinking this choice is wrong because it is a mistaken reversal.  Can anyone help me out in regards to why D is correct??
In like Flint (Accepted):  South Texas, St. Mary's
Out on a limb (Pending):  Arizona State, Southwestern, Oregon
Better luck next time (Denial): 

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=runnerxc8888

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Re: Prep Test 11, Sect 2, #21 LR
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 08:35:52 PM »
Premise: "a society that has no laws has no crimes, because no laws can be broken."  ~L --> ~C

The contrapositive is C --> L

A)  A society that has laws has crimes
L --> C  Nope, that's backwards.  It's possible everyone obeys the law.

B)  A society that has no crimes has no laws
~C --> ~L  No, perhaps there are laws but still no crime.  Again, it's possible everyone obeys the law.

C)  A society that has many laws has many crimes
First of all they're reversing law and crime...Like in A, we only know crime indicates the presence of law, not the other way around.  Second, LSAC often likes to introduce the idea of degrees into wrong answer choices.  More on this below.

D)  A society that has some crimes has some laws.
C --> L  Good, that's our  contrapositive from above.

E)  A society that has many crimes has many laws
Again, the idea of degrees in the wrong answer choices.  We know crime indicates there must be some laws, but that doesn't allow us to conclude that more crime indicates more laws.  C --> L does not mean MORE C --> MORE L