;

Author Topic: reapply  (Read 637 times)

fusdukh

• View Profile
    • Email
reapply
« on: September 03, 2007, 04:33:47 AM »
random question

my numbers are 3.5/170 and ive was accepted to ut, usc, northwestern, and gtown. i was rejected by nyu and berkeley. i feel like i want to wait another year and reapply and hope i can get into upenn, duke, or uva and maybe be i long shot stanford or columbia...is this advisable? do schools take into consideration that you've already applied and are reapplying? im at UT right now but i dont think i like it and i'd like to see if i can get into different schools. so im considering stopping now and just doing the process all over again. i dont really want to transfer. advice?

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: reapply
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 10:05:30 AM »
It doesn't sound like you're happy with your choices, so I'd say don't go this year. Reapply and see what happens. If nothing else, you'll exhaust the possibility that you could've gone to a school you would've liked more.

Some schools will keep your previous application on file. You'll have to call and ask each school what they do. Whether you were rejected or not, you should update your application materials (new personal statement,etc.)

Transferring is hard even from a top school...don't bank on it. 

lollypotter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 10:20:12 AM »
you've chosen ut or you're at ut?
Homer & Bart: Lisa's going to Stanford, Lisa's going to Stanford...
Lisa: Take it back!
Homer:... Stanford!

fusdukh

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 11:58:31 AM »
its a little late for northwestern because i didnt send in my deposit to hold my spot. plus i dont like extremely cold weather so i know i'd be miserable living in chicago for most of the year.

and yes i've already started at UT (we started a few days ago) but im not so sure if i want to stay and i'd rather not transfer. so right now my only other option is gulc unless i reapply. im just not sure if reapplying is a smart thing to do.

fusdukh

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 01:28:55 PM »

you've already started? dude, you should have asked these questions a long time ago. i'd say suck it up and have a good attitude about it. get to know your classmates and you'll probably be fine. work hard and maybe you can transfer. if not, you'll get a great degree from a great school with very little debt. i'm sure you'll be able to get a great job.
[/quote]

i just found this discussion board yesterday...or else i wouldve asked a lot sooner.

I can has lauskul!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 03:22:18 PM »
random question

my numbers are 3.5/170 and ive was accepted to ut, usc, northwestern, and gtown. i was rejected by nyu and berkeley. i feel like i want to wait another year and reapply and hope i can get into upenn, duke, or uva and maybe be i long shot stanford or columbia...is this advisable? do schools take into consideration that you've already applied and are reapplying? im at UT right now but i dont think i like it and i'd like to see if i can get into different schools. so im considering stopping now and just doing the process all over again. i dont really want to transfer. advice?

What a selfish little whiner!  You take someone else's spot at Texas even though you didn't really want it.  I'm really glad you don't like it there and hope your bad karma takes you down in flames.

lollypotter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 03:43:35 PM »
Nunya - There's no need to be mean. I hate to be controversial but every time someone dares suggest that they aren't happy at their school, or would like to *gasp* do better, some anti-elitist troll jumps up to b i t c h about taking their place.

It's his place - they gave it to him. If the other person had had the grades they'd have got in so get over yourself. 'Karma's a b i t c h' is a very clever comment btw (Yale?)

fusdukh

FWIW I don't think you're a whiner, I think you're insane. LS is a lot of money and you started without bothering to check the rules on enrolment or how it would affect your future applications.

Please speak to your careers advisor/academic counselor as soon as possible and get some proper advice (which you clearly haven't bothered to do).

Why didn't you send in the deposit at Georgetown if you wanted to go there?

Why did you start UT if you preferred GT?

Why didn't you apply to more schools? You might have gotten into more had you done the whole t14. Berkeley with a 3.5 is unlikely. Stanford, Columbia - both high GPA schools = unlikely.

No offence but 'it's cold' is such a *&^% reason to turn down Northwestern if it means leaving the t14.

Your best bet is to make good grades and transfer.

Homer & Bart: Lisa's going to Stanford, Lisa's going to Stanford...
Lisa: Take it back!
Homer:... Stanford!

tonyp

• Champions!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »
FWIW I don't think you're a whiner, I think you're insane. LS is a lot of money and you started without bothering to check the rules on enrolment or how it would affect your future applications.

I agree that it's really, really late in the game to be making these decisions.  To raise the question at this point suggests to me that withdrawing, waiting another year, and doing some homework in the interim might not be such a bad idea, since the OP appears not to fully grasp what he/she's gotten into.

Withdrawing at this point may be expensive, however.  I can't cite them chapter and verse, but there are rules regarding repayment of scholarships for students who withdraw without completing the semester, and the date beyond which one can no longer withdraw without a tuition penalty is either fast approaching or has already passed.
The University of Texas School of Law, Class of 2009