Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Things to do in 1L  (Read 1420 times)

Malina

• View Profile
Things to do in 1L
« on: September 02, 2007, 10:24:56 PM »
As we are all starting our first year, I am starting to wonder what would be good things to do, in addition to focusing on academic and staying on track in class. What will be useful (and what will not be) in building legal skills, but not too off-hand and feasible to do this year... Perhaps, an internship, pro bono work, writing for a campus newspaper/magazine, participating in school organizations by interest, ...
Obviously, some part-time work at a firm may be possible and research assistance work is a bit out of reach until the summer, I guess... Any suggestions and recommendations?  ::)  :)
Let's open the dicussion and thank you so much for contributing.

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
  • To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
Re: Things to do in 1L
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 10:46:49 PM »
As we are all starting our first year, I am starting to wonder what would be good things to do, in addition to focusing on academic and staying on track in class. What will be useful (and what will not be) in building legal skills, but not too off-hand and feasible to do this year... Perhaps, an internship, pro bono work, writing for a campus newspaper/magazine, participating in school organizations by interest, ...
Obviously, some part-time work at a firm may be possible and research assistance work is a bit out of reach until the summer, I guess... Any suggestions and recommendations?  ::)  :)
Let's open the dicussion and thank you so much for contributing.

Finding something to do that is relaxing so you don't jump off something tall.

Malina

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 12:34:16 AM »
Thanks, great tip! Will do.
Any other ideas or suggestions?  :)

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 10:50:08 AM »
Think about finding a volunteer legal position. Something that take maybe 2-3 hours out of your week. I did that last year and it lead to a great summer job. I have referenced both experiences during my OCI interviews and it has lead to at least one callback so far (still interviewing and waiting on others).

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

Butters Stotch

• Sr. Citizen
  • Well you can all just go to heck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 11:30:17 PM »
Hone your research and writing skills.  That has been stressed by virtually everyone, from the lowly 1L right on up to judges I've spoken with about the subject.  If you can do excellent research and can write a good memo & brief you will be a valued asset to most any firm.
I don't want to do it if it hurts or if it makes you get all sticky.

Reaching

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 10:52:54 AM »
Think about finding a volunteer legal position. Something that take maybe 2-3 hours out of your week. I did that last year and it lead to a great summer job. I have referenced both experiences during my OCI interviews and it has lead to at least one callback so far (still interviewing and waiting on others).

Oingo

It might be good to do 2-3 hours a week, but I think it'll be hard for a legal office to take someone on for only 2-3 hours a week. They'd want more commitment than that to invest their time to train a 1L

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 12:44:25 AM »

Oingo

It might be good to do 2-3 hours a week, but I think it'll be hard for a legal office to take someone on for only 2-3 hours a week. They'd want more commitment than that to invest their time to train a 1L

Let me expound. In most major cities there is a Volunteer Lawyers Network contact that can put you in touch with community organizations that would be willing to take those kind of hours from law students. Most school have coordinators that handle volunteer opportunities for their students. There really isn't a need to do a lot of legwork to land a position.

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."