Law School Discussion

Major in PS: capitalized or lower case?

lexylit

Re: Major in PS: capitalized or lower case?
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2004, 01:22:42 PM »
absy, bad boy.

a discipline is capitalized. Political Science. English. Theater. Underwater Basketweaving. Psychology.

GA_Kristi

• Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2004, 10:53:45 PM »
I knew I had learned this in undergrad, but was trying to find an online source I could point to, and I finally have:

http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/capitals.htm

The rule says, "We do not capitalize majors or academic disciplines unless they refer to a language, ethnic group, or geographical entity: Roundbottom is an economics major, but he loves his courses in French and East European studies."

Hope this helps!

absy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2004, 11:14:54 PM »
My mixed use of capitals reflected shame and pride.

It seems like Princeton agrees about not capitalizing, and so I am inclined to acquiesce.
http://www.princeton.edu/pr/style/ed_style.htm

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2004, 11:24:00 PM »
Crap!  So what's Classics?  It refers to Latin and Greek, but it's not a language itself.  :(

GA_Kristi

• Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2004, 11:53:03 PM »
My guess would be no capitalization on classics major.  My best advice though: when in doubt, go to the Essay Queen!  :)  She's a grammar fanatic and completely fantastic when it comes to editing your PS!  She's my expert on these things, so I won't pretend to know

lexylit

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2004, 10:34:08 AM »
Q. (from Alison) Hello - I would like to inquire about the use of capitalization on an academic area of study when referred to in general discussion - for example, when one speaks of holistic education as a field of study, would one write Holistic Education - and in what situations. If I have a Holistic Education Department, or if I am speaking of the history of Holistic Education, or the 'from the viewpoint of Holistic Education' - is it all capitalized, or not?

Thanks very much for your help.
Alison

A. Yes, specific fields and disciplines are capitalized, as are specific frameworks and methodologies. They are names, rather than common nouns. On the other hand, if you are refering to "holistic education" as a general style of education (to be distinguished from "traditional education" or "focused-topic education") and do not want to give the idea that you are refering to a specific academic discipline, then you would not capitalize the word.

Hope this helps.
Ken

http://www.udel.edu/eli/g03.html

this is what i always learned, and i used to teach this stuff. you think that human psychology is an interesting thing, but you took a great Psychology class.

newy

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2004, 10:56:24 AM »
Well if it makes anyone feel better (or worse), I did not capitalize my disciplines when I mentioned them in my personal statement. 

Uhmmm, why would you waste space and include your major in PS? It's already stated elsewhere in your application.

And I had a good reason for mentioning them, thank you very much!  :-*

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2004, 10:59:37 AM »
Capitalization it is!  I thought that made more sense :)