Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: One more timing question...  (Read 476 times)

hort stu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
One more timing question...
« on: August 30, 2007, 01:55:11 AM »
I plan on taking in september.  I took a course, been studying fairly hard core for the last month+.  In other words I got through UG with a hell of alot less work than I'm putting in now.

I'm not thrilled with my progress.  I can do games but getting them under 9 minute is still impossible unless the planets line up properly. 

Finally heres the question...

I set my egg timer for 8 and 3/4 minutes.  I start the game.  I get as much done as I can before the timer goes off.  What do I do after it goes off?  What is going to help me improve the most?  Do I finish the game and see how long it takes?  Do I set it aside and come back to it later?  Do I print up another copy and do it again in a day or two?  What do I do to get my time under 8:45? 

Thanks.

CrnchyCereal

Re: One more timing question...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 08:54:38 AM »
Keep in mind that 8 minutes and 45 seconds is only the average time alotted per game.  Given enough practice, there could (and should) be some games that you'll be able to crush in about 6 minutes or less.  If you can work yourself to that point, that means you'll have several extra minutes for the more difficult games that are taking you longer than 8 minutes and 45 seconds.  If your speed is not up to snuff just yet, don't concern yourself with time limits.  Work through the games thoroughly and for as long as it takes until you understand it inside and out.  Then return to the game and do it again. 

Rinse and repeat.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 09:00:59 AM »
Start out at an hour per section, and gradually reduce your time limits in 5-minute intervals.

hort stu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 02:30:33 AM »
Thanks for the responses,

OK I asked my instructor tonite and she suggested that, since there is a limited number of "real games," that I should focus on getting my setup under 3.5 minutes.  If I cant fully complete the setup and inferences in that amount of time, I should crumble up my scrap paper, and tuck that game away for a few days. 

Repeat this setup practice and only move on to the questions when I've fully set the game up in under 3.5 miutes.  She figures if I can get the games correct in over time than it must be the lack of a proper setup/ inferrences that are slowing me down.

Since there is a month to go this doesnt sound like a horrible idea to try for a week or two. 

Anyone have any feedback on this idea?

Thanks

hort stu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 01:53:12 PM »
It's not bad advice.  However, keep in mind that there are 50+ tests available.  There is not a shortage of games to practice with.

Yes but in the course weve already abused quite a few tests for practice.  So I have a list of, and access to, all the tests that PS didnt compromise. 

Here's my game strategy... I'm doing one practice test every other day for the next month. Today is October 2001 and I'll finish on the 27th with June 2007. My idea is to use the most recent test as practice chronologically up until T day. Then for, the week before the test, do 4, 1 a day Monday - Thursday, taking Friday off to meditate, play frisbee with the dogs, jump in the ocean, anything I can to keep my mind off the Test.

Anyway on the days inbetween the tests I want to do about 8 games/ day to work on timing/ set up and after all the practice I've already done I'm  about 40 fresh games short.  I figure I'll try and recycle a few, the hardest, and use fresh ones the last two weeks before T day.

Is that more than anyone needs to know? Sorry thinking outloud/ looking for avice.

Also keep in mind that there are many games that have minimal set-ups to them.  Whether or not you come up with the 'optimal' set-up, you need to practice applying what you do come up with to the questions to get to the filling in the right bubbles part.

Yes I figure I will eliminate the easier games early on and end up redoing some of the harder ones until I get my setups accurate and quickly.

You can add deductions to your set-up that you realize when you tackle the questions.  You have to find the right balance.  Even with the 'perfect' set-up and deductions there are questions that you need to extrapolate from the set-up to solve.

Thanks yes I'm aware of that.  The thing I've noticed is when you get all the setup and inferences before you start, usually, about half the questions fall very quickly, then some of those will help answer other questions, or at least eliminate some ACs, and then youve only got 2-4 that require real "extrapolating."

Thanks very much. I appreciate all the input.  If anyone sees any way I can improve my final month strategy please by all means let me know.