Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: [Some] minorities [agree]....Class based AA.  (Read 26024 times)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: The smart minorities get it....Class based AA.
« Reply #210 on: September 15, 2007, 11:32:34 PM »
Do expect answers to rhetorical questions? Because dipwad, if I figured percentages that means I counted all my friends. If you don't keep track of your friends, you're an idiot. Friendships take time and effort to develop and keep. Lose track and lose your friends.

The point is not that you count your friends but how you distinguish them from one another.

They know I was attacked and they apologized for some reason. I just told them they didn't do it so why were they apologizing?

And so you'd be "fully justified" in feeling prejudiced against black people because the people who attacked you happened to be black?  Oh, the magnanimity that would allow you to excuse your "minority friends" from their apologies!
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 15, 2007, 11:32:53 PM »
In fact irony abounds in this thread. A few negative experiences with minorities have led Freak to stereotype his ass off (yes all black people hate you, we're all terrible, you're the victim), yet he's quick to dismiss anyone else's racial experiences. Lol.

I simply responded to illustrate that the listed "unique" black experiences aren't all unique.

And if you read my posts, which you didn't, you'd see that roughly 20% of my close friends are minorities despite my negative experiences. Given that I've never been physically attacked by any other minority except blacks, I'd be fully justified in believing what you think I do. But I don't because I know blacks who care an awful lot about me. Further, I dismissed nobody's racial experiences, because in point of fact, only Burning Sands & I have shared any in this thread.

Do the 20% know that you feel this way?

They know I was attacked and they apologized for some reason. I just told them they didn't do it so why were they apologizing?

My friend recently got a divorce from her husband and I apologized. Not because I'm a man, but because it was a bad situation and I just felt sorry for her.

I'm pretty sure that's what your black friends probably meant.  :D
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 15, 2007, 11:40:22 PM »
you'd see that roughly 20% of my close friends are minorities despite my negative experiences.

You count your minority friends?

Do expect answers to rhetorical questions? Because dipwad, if I figured percentages that means I counted all my friends. If you don't keep track of your friends, you're an idiot. Friendships take time and effort to develop and keep. Lose track and lose your friends.

Do you keep their names in an accounting ledger? There must be some end-of-year tax incentive.

I know who my friends are, but at no time could I give you statistical output on which friends are black, female, gay, etc. That's just creepy. :-\
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 16, 2007, 04:08:44 PM »

The point is not that you count your friends but how you distinguish them from one another.

And so you'd be "fully justified" in feeling prejudiced against black people because the people who attacked you happened to be black?  Oh, the magnanimity that would allow you to excuse your "minority friends" from their apologies!

Believe what you wish me to feel if you like. But how many people do you know who have one bad experience with a lawyer and condemn the all? I'm not saying "it's right," if that's what you think "fully justified" means. I used fully justified to mean "it'd be very easy for me to become."

And frankly, I figured the numbers for purposes of this thread. A white man with no minority experience lacks credibility in a thread like this.

Back to the op's topic (and off the pick on Freak topic, aka a. .......). Personally, I believe the primary reason inner city minorities struggle today is lack of solid families - fathers mostly.

I would support AA for all races based on whether both their parents married once and remained married. I think that's a huge advantage today and would feel no qualms about giving those, without that support, a significant boost. It would probably include most, if not all currently disadvantaged people. It would not include me and most of the people I grew up with. How many of you know 30 marriages like that where you personally know both parents and all their children? I can. So not only did I receive the benefit of two caring parents, I received the benefit of other families brought up the same way.
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: [Some] minorities [agree]....Class based AA.
« Reply #214 on: September 17, 2007, 07:41:56 PM »
Love the censorship of the Thread Title.  Guess we're not allowed to indicate that minorities can be smart.   ::)

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 17, 2007, 07:49:06 PM »
Love the censorship of the Thread Title.  Guess we're not allowed to indicate that minorities can be smart.   ::)

No, the thread title limited the quality of intelligence to agreeing with a principle. It was insulting.

Some smart minorities may agree with the proposition, but not all smart minorities agree with it. The original thread title was symptomatic of the problem with this thread - namely, false assumptions and errors in reasoning. ;)
YLS c/o 2009

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 17, 2007, 08:11:31 PM »

No, the thread title limited the quality of intelligence to agreeing with a principle. It was insulting.

Some smart minorities may agree with the proposition, but not all smart minorities agree with it. The original thread title was symptomatic of the problem with this thread - namely, false assumptions and errors in reasoning. ;)

Well, the thread title expressed an opinion.  It may be right, it may be wrong.  (It's just as much of an assumption, of course, to claim that not all smart minorities agree with it.) 

But last time I checked, this was a free country, and people should presumably be free to express their opinions, especially when it's not in fact a blanket attack on an entire ethnic group.  People are (and should be) free to say that it's dumb to support or oppose AA, and then express the reasons why they think so.

Anyway, good to see that modern "liberal" thinking is still in fact censoring and restricting speech/thought as they claim to seek a greater "diversity" of viewpoints.

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 17, 2007, 08:15:53 PM »
You're just trolling for reaction now, aren't you?

If you're bored, you could go tackle Miss P's responses to you. Just sayin'
Cady on October 16, 2007, 10:41:52 PM

i rhink tyi'm inejying my fudgcicle too much

Huey on February 07, 2007, 11:15:32 PM

I went to a party in an apartment in a silo once.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #218 on: September 17, 2007, 08:41:33 PM »
Dirty liberal Boaltie...always being so right about everything.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 17, 2007, 09:39:12 PM »
Anyway, good to see that modern "liberal" thinking is still in fact censoring and restricting speech/thought as they claim to seek a greater "diversity" of viewpoints.

Tell it to Erwin Chemerinsky, kid.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.