Law School Discussion

[Some] minorities [agree]....Class based AA.

Re: The smart minorities get it....Class based AA.
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2007, 09:02:18 AM »
Have a look-see at the man's other posts. This is not Gandhi I'm calling an a-hole.

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2007, 09:57:13 AM »
Even though I agree with the legitimacy of Class Based AA, I am less certain that we, as a nation, are in a position even in 2007 where we can completely swap out one for the other.  I would certainly like for us to be, but the fact of the matter is that we are not.  I am hopeful that we can be there someday.  Former Justice O'Connor estimated that day at being 25 years in the future.  Who knows.  But one thing is for certain, we're not there yet.  Replacing Race Based with Class Based now is premature.  Even Obama (one of the alleged "smart minorities" according to the blondngreen) is very clear on this topic when asked about the state of race in America - he says that he believes that America is ready to get past it's race problem, which is to say that it still has a problem that it needs to get past.

You don't advocate rich black kids getting affirmative action, but you don't want to replace race based AA with class based AA...Uh, huh

Have a look-see at the man's other posts. This is not Gandhi I'm calling an a-hole.

If you done read my previous posts good, you'd see I was female.   

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2007, 10:11:24 AM »
I'm sorry, I meant The Man.

Edit: I skimmed 'em, and nothing female-identified popped out. A lot of anger though. You see a therapist lately?

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2007, 10:31:51 AM »
I'm sorry, I meant The Man.

Edit: I skimmed 'em, and nothing female-identified popped out. A lot of anger though. You see a therapist lately?

I couldn't help but notice that as well.

Not to mention several repeated misapplications of Constitutional Law with respect to AA.  It is entertaining to see people like this get "schooled" (to borrow that phrase) in law school when they actually bring those type of arguments to your average law school professor.

H4CS

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2007, 01:16:58 PM »
Choosy minorities choose Jif?

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2007, 02:28:30 PM »
I was terribly, terribly angry, thank you for schooling me on that fact.  I've decided to be less angry and to embrace race based AA.  I hope this new SC doesn't strike down AA as unconstitutional, really I don't...Now I have to go and see my therapist.  Eastend, out. 

OperaAttorney

• Freude, Königin der Weise!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2007, 05:43:38 PM »
I was terribly, terribly angry, thank you for schooling me on that fact.  I've decided to be less angry and to embrace race based AA.  I hope this new SC doesn't strike down AA as unconstitutional, really I don't...Now I have to go and see my therapist.  Eastend, out. 

Pitiful.  Just pitiful.

Freak

• What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2007, 07:19:19 PM »
I tend to agree with argument that culture is the real problem. I know several  Blacks, but mostly recent immigrants - with a different culture than the typical inner city Black.

I lived in Chicago for 3 years and it seems to me that inner city kids (of all races) have little chance. They either join a gang or lose their lunch money and get beat up constantly. Once in that lifestyle, they learn how much money dealing drugs earns them. It doesn't take a genius to look up what college educated professionals earn and compare it with a drug dealer who sets his/her own hours. I spoke with one former pot dealer who earned $3k/wk ($156k/yr) in high school. No long miserable years of studying, no unemployment risk and no student loans. Just the risks of jail and bullets (which he risked anyway). He ended up in jail, found religion and turned his back on the life, but he struggles to support a family in the inner city, struggles to keep his kids from what he went through. He barely earns $20k/yr.

So how do we solve this problem? The gangs have the carrot and stick approach down to a science.

Kirk Lazarus

• I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2007, 07:21:14 PM »
I tend to agree with argument that culture is the real problem. I know several  Blacks, but mostly recent immigrants - with a different culture than the typical inner city Black.

I lived in Chicago for 3 years and it seems to me that inner city kids (of all races) have little chance. They either join a gang or lose their lunch money and get beat up constantly. Once in that lifestyle, they learn how much money dealing drugs earns them. It doesn't take a genius to look up what college educated professionals earn and compare it with a drug dealer who sets his/her own hours. I spoke with one former pot dealer who earned $3k/wk ($156k/yr) in high school. No long miserable years of studying, no unemployment risk and no student loans. Just the risks of jail and bullets (which he risked anyway). He ended up in jail, found religion and turned his back on the life, but he struggles to support a family in the inner city, struggles to keep his kids from what he went through. He barely earns $20k/yr.

So how do we solve this problem? The gangs have the carrot and stick approach down to a science.

Too bad you described an environmental problem and not a cultural problem.

ETA: Nevermind, I think you're right.

Freak

• What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2007, 07:25:28 PM »
Point, but it's also a culture. The dealers then spend their money on drugs, clothes and cars instead of appreciating assets. Shoot, if one of those high school dealers cleaned his money and invested it. He could get out in one year.

It's not just dealers who spend their money that way. How many cars do you see with $5k rims in the ghetto. That's enough to get out. Why don't they leave the environment?

Edit: So how does one fix it? After all, gangs are a culture.