Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: [Some] minorities [agree]....Class based AA.  (Read 26019 times)

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The smart minorities get it....Class based AA.
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2007, 04:59:47 PM »
The title of this thread is rather condescending.  I find it amusing actually, because it was probably unintentional yet it says a lot about the OP.  :D

Yep. It's very condescending.  She might as well call me a N****R!

You're right about it being unintentional.  BlondnGreen strikes me as....umm....young.

I've never used the 'n' word.  To me the connotations are horrible.  As always you try to divert my attention by calling me a racist.  You're a silly little man. 

Now you're trying to divert his attention by calling him short.  :D

Do you realize that there are negative connotations to calling people "smart minorities?"  How do you think one of the two men you mention would react if you went up them and said: "Mr. Such-and-such, I think you're a smart minority!  I'm glad that there are some smart minorities around!"  I mean really.  :D

The thing is, she didn't say that -- she just said she thought smart minorities favored a certain policy.  Someone else could certainly claim that smart whites should favor AA, because it mostly impacts asians, and is cheaper than actually fixing K-12 education.  Does that imply that most whites are not smart? 

We do realize that some minorities are smarter than others, right?  Just like with whites and asians?

blondngreen

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2007, 05:24:35 PM »
The title of this thread is rather condescending.  I find it amusing actually, because it was probably unintentional yet it says a lot about the OP.  :D

You're right about it being unintentional.  BlondnGreen strikes me as....umm....young.

I've never used the 'n' word.  To me the connotations are horrible.  As always you try to divert my attention by calling me a racist.  You're a silly little man. 

Do you realize that there are negative connotations to calling people "smart minorities?"  How do you think one of the two men you mention would react if you went up them and said: "Mr. Such-and-such, I think you're a smart minority!  I'm glad that there are some smart minorities around!"  I mean really.  :D

You sound so angry and bitter.  Do you support AA because you're stupid?  Are you delusional?  Is it enlightened self-interest that drives you?  Are you acting in myopic selfishness? -  I jest -   The title was merely an attention getter.  It's deliberately misleading.  I know you can be smart and support race based AA, you just don't care about those severely disadvantaged whites.  We have a white president, etc, etc, so even though your Daddy was a coal miner and you grew up in the Appalachians, and you struggled, etc, etc, who cares?  Wait a minute, ignore the 'I jest' part.

blondngreen

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2007, 06:59:09 PM »

You sound so angry and bitter.  Do you support AA because you're stupid?  Are you delusional?  Is it enlightened self-interest that drives you?  Are you acting in myopic selfishness? -  I jest -   The title was merely an attention getter.  It's deliberately misleading.  I know you can be smart and support race based AA, you just don't care about those severely disadvantaged whites.  We have a white president, etc, etc, so even though your Daddy was a coal miner and you grew up in the Appalachians, and you struggled, etc, etc, who cares?  Wait a minute, ignore the 'I jest' part.

You still don't see the problem.  :D
The queen of the one line..not one liner.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2007, 07:07:51 PM »

That's what would make it a "connotation."  ;)

Actually, that's what makes it an unwarranted "inference."  :^)

We do realize that some minorities are smarter than others, right?  Just like with whites and asians?

It's funny how you're using "minorities" to refer to only minorities that are not asian.  :D

I just hate the term "URM".  However, it is in fact funny that AA supporters often use the term minority as well, despite the fact that various minority groups do far better educationally and professionally than whites.

In general, some people are smarter than others.  That's not the problem.  :)

Okay, but that's all the OP appeared to be saying (or rather, implying). 

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2007, 07:09:10 PM »

This also sounds a little angry and bitter.   :(

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2007, 07:15:54 PM »

What I would say is that smart minorities and whites recognize that there are problems in the current application of AA that create both significant injustice in individual situations, and also broader systemic and perception issues that are ultimately counterproductive to the ideal of equal opportuity.  Moreover, they recognize that modified approaches would probably achieve the same goals with less negative side-effects. 

Less-smart (or less thoughtful) minorities and whites are apparently either unaware of these problems, or simply don't care.

eastend

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2007, 08:19:38 AM »

Girl, chill the f*** out.  AA is educational welfare - do you really think that their going to give up their benefits without a fight?  They'll put forth more energy defending their entitlement to AA than they will for the LSAT. 

OperaAttorney

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freude, Königin der Weise!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2007, 02:23:35 PM »

Girl, chill the f*** out.  AA is educational welfare - do you really think that their going to give up their benefits without a fight?  They'll put forth more energy defending their entitlement to AA than they will for the LSAT. 

"They"?  LOL :)
"I don't believe in the word 'impossible,' because the One in whom I believe can do the impossible." - Me

eastend

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2007, 04:24:25 PM »
No, 'operaattorney' is funny.  LMAO.  That's fantastic.   ;)

eastend

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2007, 09:08:33 PM »

"They"?  LOL :)

Down Syndrome is nothing to laugh at.  :(

Why don't you just die, you stoopidcu**.  You're using Downs to make points.  What a fu**wit.