Law School Discussion

[Some] minorities [agree]....Class based AA.

[Some] minorities [agree]....Class based AA.
« on: August 29, 2007, 05:59:27 AM »
In his 1964 book, Why We Can't Wait, Martin Luther King Jr made the classic argument for taking affirmative steps to address our nation's history. He wrote, "It is obvious that if a man is entered at the starting line in a race three hundred years after another man, the first would have to perform some impossible feat in order to catch up to his fellow man." But instead of proposing a plan of preferences for blacks, he proposed a "Bill of Rights for the Disadvantaged." King said, "It is a simple matter of justice that America , in dealing creatively with the task of raising the Negro from backwardness, should also be rescuing a large stratum of the forgotten white poor."

On ABC's "This Week" show, George Stephanopoulos asked Obama, "you and your wife went to Harvard Law School . Got plenty of money, you're running for president. Why should your daughters when they go to college get affirmative action?"

In his response, Obama didn't take the question to a higher level of abstraction and talk generally about the importance of racial diversity; he stuck with the concrete facts. "I think that my daughters should probably be treated by any admissions officer as folks who are pretty advantaged..." Then, he went further, "I think that we should take into account white kids who have been disadvantaged and have grown up in poverty and shown themselves to have what it takes to succeed."

Re: The smart minorities get it....Class based AA.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 09:40:39 AM »
I don't really think your arguments matter.  We all can see that a poor white person who attends terrible schools deserves some form of AA and that Barack Obama's kids don't, but minority groups are a very powerful force in this country and they will fight to defeat class based AA.  I remember Clinton talked about changing the system and of in stepped Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson complaining.  It's stupid to think minorities don't have power.  There really isn't any group specifically lobbying to get poor whites preferential treatment.  I agree with previous posters that AA will be abolished, and not a minute too soon.
P.S.  The most racist people I ever met were black.  Just my own personal experience growing up in a poor area of NO.

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 11:02:41 AM »
The title of this thread is rather condescending.  I find it amusing actually, because it was probably unintentional yet it says a lot about the OP.  :D

What do you feel it says?  Presumably, there are smart and less-smart minorities, just as there are smart and less-smart whites. 

I made reference to two men I respect considerably.  I find their views much more compelling than any others I have read in this forum.  As I said, the smart minorities get it, those governed by self interest don't.

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 07:11:54 PM »
The title makes it sound like the only people who can be classified as smart minorities are those who support class-based AA, and no other additional types of AA. And that if that's not your position, you aren't one of these smart minorities.

Thank you Frida, but I believe I was being very specific with my examples. 

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 07:22:10 PM »
The title makes it sound like the only people who can be classified as smart minorities are those who support class-based AA, and no other additional types of AA. And that if that's not your position, you aren't one of these smart minorities.

Thank you Frida, but I believe I was being very specific with my examples. 

How about "These smart minorities."

Or, "Two smart minorities..."?

They both felt smart.

If you disagree with them, say so.  Why were Dr.King and Mr.Obama wrong?   Or is it just the title of this thread that you have a problem with?  Let's just focus on the minutiae and ignore the bigger issue.

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 02:31:36 PM »
You bring up MLK and Obama and none of the AA supporters have anything to say.  I love it.  I see their chiming in on other threads saying of course we should make disadvantage a factor but being a minority, even a very priveleged minority, is the trump card, baby. 

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 02:39:24 PM »
You bring up MLK and Obama and none of the AA supporters have anything to say.  I love it.  I see their chiming in on other threads saying of course we should make disadvantage a factor but being a minority, even a very priveleged minority, is the trump card, baby. 

Why should the opinions of two more people fly in the face of anything that's been argued presently?

I'd say that the attempt to defeat the AA argument by invoking two prominent black figures is the very definition of using a "trump card," though it doesn't change the conversation in the slightest.

Unless you're so ridiculous as to believe that all black people do, by necessity, support affirmative action.

OperaAttorney

• Freude, Königin der Weise!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 04:27:17 AM »
The title of this thread is rather condescending.  I find it amusing actually, because it was probably unintentional yet it says a lot about the OP.  :D

Yep. It's very condescending.  She might as well call me a N****R!

You're right about it being unintentional.  BlondnGreen strikes me as....umm....young.

OperaAttorney

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 04:55:43 AM »

I'm taking a study break, so pardon me if my post lacks some lucidity.

1. I agree with MLK.  Class-based policies should be part of AA, but I do not think AA should be solely class-based.  This is because certain groups--blacks, hispanics, native americans, etc.--suffer discrimination in this country due to their ethnicity and nothing else.  These groups are also grossly underrepresented in the legal and medical professions even though they constitute significant minority populations in the US. 

2. Obama's daughters are indeed highly privileged, and I'm sure adcomms take such things into consideration.  However, Obama's daughters still belong to the groups mentioned above.  Further, we're talking about just 2 girls here, not an entire group of applicants.  I'm sorry, y'all, but the Obama girls are in a league of their own.

3. Obama stuck to the facts b/c he was asked a direct question.  He's also a black POLITICIAN running for President. What makes you think he would publicly uphold URM-based AA and denounce class-based AA? He ain't stupid.  Politicians are adroit speakers, and are highly trained to handle controversial issues without "dropping the soap." LOL

4. Obama is black, but he does NOT speak for me. I don't have to agree with everything he says.  With that said, he's a respectable man and an awesome role model.  I'm not sure he'll win though...because he is black. And any one thinks otherwise is on drugs LOL.  It's 2007, but Americans still have a long way ago. How many LSD AA opponents are rooting for Obama?  Just how many?

OperaAttorney

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 04:57:51 AM »

Yep. It's very condescending.  She might as well call me a N****R!

You're right about it probably being unintentional.  BlondnGreen strikes me as....umm....young.

This post strikes me as somewhat irrational.

Not really. But why on earth would you even get it, Brad Pitt? LOL :)

In essence she called me a DUMB MINORITY. Coming from a white woman with blond hair and green eyes, what do you think DUMB MINORITY means?