Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: [Some] minorities [agree]....Class based AA.  (Read 26093 times)

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The smart minorities get it....Class based AA.
« Reply #150 on: September 13, 2007, 11:04:52 AM »
What a sheltered life you live.

Denial sounds like fun, I should try it sometime.  It must be nice not to see your own privilege, I imagine it lets one get through life with significantly less thinking. 

*Looks through thread*

Indeed.

And significantly more whining.

Quit perpetuating the oppression of the white man.

Cady on October 16, 2007, 10:41:52 PM

i rhink tyi'm inejying my fudgcicle too much

Huey on February 07, 2007, 11:15:32 PM

I went to a party in an apartment in a silo once.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #151 on: September 13, 2007, 11:23:22 AM »
Shan't.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 13, 2007, 11:39:00 AM »
Ok, you tell me which of you began working for $2/hr at age ll, saved enough to pay for your first car and all its expenses by 15 and worked every summer thereafter. From factories to wharehouses, to telemarketing, to corn fields with illegal immigrants - I've done it. I quite a job when I discovered that an adult, I'd trained was paid 2x what they paid me for the same position, with two years experience.

When I got in trouble with the law, I paid thousands of dollars in fines, showed up for every probation appointment and never repeated my mistake. I paid private college tuition w/o loans. I've been attacked in the street by thugs. Privileged? The only privilege I've ever had is two loving parents. But they had little money while I grew-up, I still remember shopping at the second hand store for school clothes. I didn't have a pair of name brand tennis shoes till I turned 14.

And if you read my posts, you'd see that I have at least 5 URM friends - very good friends.

Hopefully, you'll are no longer sheltered.
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 13, 2007, 02:06:17 PM »
Ok, you tell me which of you began working for $2/hr at age ll, saved enough to pay for your first car and all its expenses by 15 and worked every summer thereafter. From factories to wharehouses, to telemarketing, to corn fields with illegal immigrants - I've done it. I quite a job when I discovered that an adult, I'd trained was paid 2x what they paid me for the same position, with two years experience.

When I got in trouble with the law, I paid thousands of dollars in fines, showed up for every probation appointment and never repeated my mistake. I paid private college tuition w/o loans. I've been attacked in the street by thugs. Privileged? The only privilege I've ever had is two loving parents. But they had little money while I grew-up, I still remember shopping at the second hand store for school clothes. I didn't have a pair of name brand tennis shoes till I turned 14.

And if you read my posts, you'd see that I have at least 5 URM friends - very good friends.

Although it raises an eyebrow to see that one counts (or can count) their minority friends on one hand, this is a great personal testimony of overcoming adversity in America.

Are you offering it to compare to the adversity overcome by minority students or to show that you, personally, do not feel privileged?

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

OperaAttorney

• Sr. Citizen
  • Freude, Königin der Weise!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #154 on: September 13, 2007, 02:32:26 PM »

Although it raises an eyebrow to see that one counts (or can count) their minority friends on one hand, this is a great personal testimony of overcoming adversity in America.

Are you offering it to compare to the adversity overcome by minority students or to show that you, personally, do not feel privileged?

Big bruh, you beat me to the punch! LOL

But yeah, Freak, you went through a lot. Keep up the good work. Stay up!
"I don't believe in the word 'impossible,' because the One in whom I believe can do the impossible." - Me

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 13, 2007, 02:59:35 PM »

Well since I grew up in predominantly white towns, it should raise no eyebrows. Further, I only counted close friends. I have about 20-25 total friends I consider close. That's b/t 20-25% percent minority friends & given the overall minority population...

And yes, I personally do not feel privileged. Now if you'll would like to share your stories, maybe I would feel differently.

OperaAttorney

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #156 on: September 13, 2007, 05:09:48 PM »

Well since I grew up in predominantly white towns, it should raise no eyebrows. Further, I only counted close friends. I have about 20-25 total friends I consider close. That's b/t 20-25% percent minority friends & given the overall minority population...

And yes, I personally do not feel privileged. Now if you'll would like to share your stories, maybe I would feel differently.

Well, I think the issue here is differentiating between types of privilege. For instance, in my opinion, you are definitely not privileged in the socioeconomic sense.  However, you still enjoy "white privilege" by virtue of your skin color..especially in the U.S. Now I've met many whites who deny the existence of white privilege in this country. (I find such a position ludicrous, but perhaps I'm a bit biased ;)).  If you reason this way, then we can just agree to disagree. :)
"I don't believe in the word 'impossible,' because the One in whom I believe can do the impossible." - Me

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 13, 2007, 05:14:29 PM »

long story short, grew up in the ghetto, basically raised self and brothers and sisters, approached by gangs but declined - as a result got shot twice when I was 14 and 15, dropped out of high school at 16 to work in order to support the family, was talked into going back to school by my close HS friends who I'm still close with to this day, family couldn't afford college, got a job, got another job, paid my way through it sometimes working 2 jobs while going to class - as a result took 6 years to complete undergrad (engineering), worked as an engineer for a while, helped the family out financially, decided to finally go to law school, buckled down, got in, struggled through it financially (no private loans), made Law Review, graduated, took the bar, starting for Biglaw in NYC next month.

Wow, I didn't think I'd be able to compress that down to a paragraph but there it is.  Comparable, yes?

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 13, 2007, 07:35:30 PM »

Well, I think the issue here is differentiating between types of privilege. For instance, in my opinion, you are definitely not privileged in the socioeconomic sense.  However, you are still enjoy "white privilege" by virtue of your skin color..especially in the U.S. Now I've met many whites who deny the existence of white privilege in this country. (I find such a position ludicrous, but perhaps I'm a bit biased ;)).  If you reason this way, then we can just agree to disagree. :)

We have both bias, everybody has it, such is life. To your point, I agree white privilege exists, I just don't benefit from it. I've never competed for a position against a minority to my knowledge. For most of my 20 odd positions, I had no competition because either A - everybody was hired who applied or B. I alone applied.    So I don't believe I should pay to remedy it. i.e. I believe we should apply remedies individually.

OperaAttorney

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #159 on: September 13, 2007, 07:46:59 PM »

Well, I think the issue here is differentiating between types of privilege. For instance, in my opinion, you are definitely not privileged in the socioeconomic sense.  However, you are still enjoy "white privilege" by virtue of your skin color..especially in the U.S. Now I've met many whites who deny the existence of white privilege in this country. (I find such a position ludicrous, but perhaps I'm a bit biased ;)).  If you reason this way, then we can just agree to disagree. :)

We have both bias, everybody has it, such is life. To your point, I agree white privilege exists, I just don't benefit from it. I've never competed for a position against a minority to my knowledge. For most of my 20 odd positions, I had no competition because either A - everybody was hired who applied or B. I alone applied.    So I don't believe I should pay to remedy it. i.e. I believe we should apply remedies individually.
No....but OK.