Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Index Calculation and Cutoff Points  (Read 1131 times)

dta

Index Calculation and Cutoff Points
« on: March 12, 2004, 02:16:19 PM »
I found the following website which purports to give the index calculation for several law schools:

http://www.uiowa.edu/~030116/prelaw/lawschools00.htm

Although this list includes the method of calculation for many schools it does not give the various cutoff points for each school (e.g. automatic accept and decline scores).

Does anyone know where I might find a list correlating one's index score at a law school with the chance of being accepted to said law school?

Thanks.

marcman

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.85/166
    • View Profile
Re: Index Calculation and Cutoff Points
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 02:40:55 PM »
I think those 'cutoff' points are confidentail, if I'm not mistaken, but by comparing yourself to others (eg on lawschoolnumbers) you can probably get a feel for them. Thats a good link though - especially the gpa % relative to lsat part of it- so thanks.

Anonymous_One

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 02:45:28 PM »
I forget where I saw this, but a good way to calculate a reasonable approximation of presumtive admit/deny indexes is as follows:

Take the 25% UGPA and 25% LSAT numbers for the school and run those through the index formula, and that is approximately the presumtive deny index. 

Take the 75% UGPA and 75% LSAT numbers for the school and run those through the index formula, and that is approximately the presumtive admit index.

YMMV, but I did see this on some law school admissions counseling site somewhere.

dta

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 09:47:55 PM »
Thanks Anonymous_One - that sounds like a reasonable way to guestimate. And thanks for the tip on lawschoolnumbers.com marcman.

Crossing my fingers for Fall 2005 ...