Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Life as a 2L  (Read 7564 times)

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
Re: Life as a 2L
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2007, 03:05:25 PM »
I though I should clarify just in case any 0Ls/1Ls see this, I'm not speaking ill of BLSA as an organization.  Regionally and Nationally...def on point, for the most part.  But locally, left much to be desired. It's not the case at every local BLSA chapter.  Some chapters are actually really close-knit and are active in the community.  But the nature of the chapter is something that's not apparent right away.  What I am discouraging is forming "friendships" right away with ppl because you may be disappointed in the 2nd semester.   

I though I should clarify just in case any 0Ls/1Ls see this, I REALLY AM speaking ill of BLSA as an organization.

whaddya mean?  Don't take this year's National Convention into account. It was not run well and the second day of plenary was just tacky.   :-X So you all asked for help from Regionals and nationals and they didn't help you?  Well, SRBLSA has a fund that gives local chapters money if they want to do a project that's a lil' expensive...provided that the chapter donated $ in the past.   I dunno for sure but I don't think SRBLSA is the only entity that has something like that.  Yeah go ahead and run but DO NOT write ill of the organization up on here if that's what you're planning to do.  It WILL come up. 

Okay, about the information not being communicated...yeah I saw that at Nationals but it was among National board members.  Some of the members kinda conveniently left stuff out/dismissed vital info during the segment of plenary where they gave their reports.  But that was only a few ppl so are you sure that your local secretary properly disseminated the info that Regionals and Nationals handed down? 
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2007, 03:37:05 PM »
I though I should clarify just in case any 0Ls/1Ls see this, I'm not speaking ill of BLSA as an organization.  Regionally and Nationally...def on point, for the most part.  But locally, left much to be desired. It's not the case at every local BLSA chapter.  Some chapters are actually really close-knit and are active in the community.  But the nature of the chapter is something that's not apparent right away.  What I am discouraging is forming "friendships" right away with ppl because you may be disappointed in the 2nd semester.   

I though I should clarify just in case any 0Ls/1Ls see this, I REALLY AM speaking ill of BLSA as an organization. National and Regional Chapter got some issues as far as communicating information. I love my Chapter, we got our Mentor/Mentee Program and we're active on campus.

How much help do we receive from Regional or National? NONE, I wonder why we gotta pay them so much in dues.
I repeat! This is some Amway-type husslin' going on!

Next year I'm runnin' for a position on the Regional Board. Cuz we get left out of the loop on too much.

yup wondered that myself.

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2007, 07:28:14 PM »

whaddya mean?  Don't take this year's National Convention into account. It was not run well and the second day of plenary was just tacky.   :-X So you all asked for help from Regionals and nationals and they didn't help you?  Well, SRBLSA has a fund that gives local chapters money if they want to do a project that's a lil' expensive...provided that the chapter donated $ in the past.   I dunno for sure but I don't think SRBLSA is the only entity that has something like that.  Yeah go ahead and run but DO NOT write ill of the organization up on here if that's what you're planning to do.  It WILL come up. 

Okay, about the information not being communicated...yeah I saw that at Nationals but it was among National board members.  Some of the members kinda conveniently left stuff out/dismissed vital info during the segment of plenary where they gave their reports.  But that was only a few ppl so are you sure that your local secretary properly disseminated the info that Regionals and Nationals handed down? 

See! I think this is a problem. I've gotten more relevant information from this website than I have from any Regional Director or anybody sittin' on the National Board. The problem is that we don't find out information unless we perform the due diligence and find out ourselves. Case in point: I had to find out from another member about BLSA's Job Fair Conference. Communication has not been very effective this year.
Warning: Educated Black Man

University of Law '09

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2007, 07:41:20 PM »

See! I think this is a problem. I've gotten more relevant information from this website than I have from any Regional Director or anybody sittin' on the National Board. The problem is that we don't find out information unless we perform the due diligence and find out ourselves. Case in point: I had to find out from another member about BLSA's Job Fair Conference. Communication has not been very effective this year.

WOW, I'm dumb cause I didn't even realize you were in the southern region until I looked at the siggy.  Well, Brian Baptiste is the SRBLSA Chair.  With him, I seriously doubt any retardness will go down.  He's a cool dude. He ran the SRBLSA Convention.  I'd suggest sending him a direct email about your concerns.  He'll actually give you some insight on how to run for a position that's pretty useful if you're serious about that.  I could send you an example of the letter of intent.

We do have/ have had some Regional board/National board BLSA members on BLSD.  There's a regional chair on here now and the past year's national cochair of ed on BLSD.     

Were you at plenary this year- either for regionals or nationals?

whaddya mean?  Don't take this year's National Convention into account. It was not run well and the second day of plenary was just tacky.   :-X So you all asked for help from Regionals and nationals and they didn't help you?  Well, SRBLSA has a fund that gives local chapters money if they want to do a project that's a lil' expensive...provided that the chapter donated $ in the past.   I dunno for sure but I don't think SRBLSA is the only entity that has something like that.  Yeah go ahead and run but DO NOT write ill of the organization up on here if that's what you're planning to do.  It WILL come up. 

The problem is that we don't find out information unless we perform the due diligence and find out ourselves. 

LOL that seems to be the theme of LS.  Everything in LS. 

I didn't know about the Job Conference until I spoke directly to Brian Baptiste and the past National AG.
Again, the national convention wasn't done well and that seems to be a reflection of some personal drama on that level.
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2007, 10:44:13 AM »

But in all fairness, the people on this website who you've been getting info from ARE the people on the regional and national boards.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2007, 10:59:09 AM »

But in all fairness, the people on this website who you've been getting info from ARE the people on the regional and national boards.

I'm dont think he realizes who's who  ;).  BUT, he's right that isn't exactly "fair". Why should he have to come on here to get the info?  Some of this stuff should be reflected in the newsletter or other forms.   I got the info because I just so happen to know you, the SRBLSA Chair, and the former National AG personally.  Now in my situation. that was a reflection of the lack of communication among my own retarded azz chapter. Whole bunch of info was not disseminated until I got the info and disseminated it myself or told the e-board they better disseminate it b4 I did  :D.  But btw the three of ya'll, I got all the info I needed.  Certainly participating in plenary helped too.  I do think that the decisions made in plenary should be made known to the general body.  Even those in other regions...sooner than they are.  I brought back each decision made in plenary back to my chapter..I wrote up everything, the issues, who had a prob with what, which school spoke at which time and on which issue so that my chapter would know who were the movers and shakers so that maybe we could have a joint-effort in some future program.  But they wouldn't have known had I not done that.     

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2007, 07:34:39 PM »
I'm dont think he realizes who's who  ;).  BUT, he's right that isn't exactly "fair". Why should he have to come on here to get the info?  Some of this stuff should be reflected in the newsletter or other forms.   I got the info because I just so happen to know you, the SRBLSA Chair, and the former National AG personally.  Now in my situation. that was a reflection of the lack of communication among my own retarded azz chapter. Whole bunch of info was not disseminated until I got the info and disseminated it myself or told the e-board they better disseminate it b4 I did  :D.  But btw the three of ya'll, I got all the info I needed.  Certainly participating in plenary helped too.  I do think that the decisions made in plenary should be made known to the general body.  Even those in other regions...sooner than they are.  I brought back each decision made in plenary back to my chapter..I wrote up everything, the issues, who had a prob with what, which school spoke at which time and on which issue so that my chapter would know who were the movers and shakers so that maybe we could have a joint-effort in some future program.  But they wouldn't have known had I not done that.     

Whoa. . .we have a newsletter?
Warning: Educated Black Man

University of Law '09

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2007, 07:06:47 PM »
I dunno exactly if it's called a "newsletter" per se but there's something given to the secretary of the chapter and the chapter is responsible for funneling it. 

Seriously, I think you should address Brian Baptiste with your concerns. He's the Southern Regional Chair. 

So you haven't received anything from Regionals or Nationals?  Did you receive something in your school email about running for positions either regionally or nationally?   

I take it that you didn't go to Nationals this past year b/c you'd prolly say something.   Man lemme tell you, was not run well AT ALL.  They had like 2 meals.  Didn't let ppl know that meals were not included (I knew 'cause of Baptiste & the AG).  "Drink tickets" (yes dammit I'm still bitter  :D).  Folks in plenary were acting a damn fool-  completely unprofessional on the 2nd day.  Definitely a break down in communication there, so I feel you on that one.  I think it's inappropriate to show that side of the organization to the 1Ls - would have been a turn off to me if I didn't see how it should have been done (like at SRBLSA convention) first. 

Regionals on the other hand was run very well.  Meals included.  Plenary was run professionally. Only drawback was that there wasn't a lot of folks at the community service event- mostly due to conflict in schedule. Oh- that and there were not a lot of ppl available to be judges or bailiffs for the competitions.  BTW, you can get pro bono cred for acting as a bailiff-  do the "hear ye, hear ye" and time both sides. 

I think you should become a delegate this year at the Conventions.  Just ask the local e-board if they'll let you.  They prolly will b/c most folks find it boring to sit there all day-  and it does last all day.    I had fun though; got to see how stuff works and who's responsible for what.  And as my mentor always says "the power is not in the hands of the officers but with the ppl". 

iman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2007, 11:53:47 PM »
i'm not trying to be offensive, but tru-one, did you ever think that  you're not getting relevant information b/c your local chapter is not passing it on? our region has a blsa presidents email list. are you the blsa president? if not, maybe you should ask your blsa president if they get emails from the various regional and national chairs. Also, if you're on facebook, you can join the various groups for your region. and if that fails, you can also just go to the NBLSA website and sign up for the mailing list. i've pasted the website below for your convenience. i have at least 50 emails in my email account from the NBLSA listserv over the past 2 years. whenever i hear people hating on nblsa or their regional board in terms of communication--it always seems like they haven't even taken the first step to finding anything out. granted the past immediate communications person was not very prolific, but still you definitely knew when the job fairs and regional conventions were taking place. getting those emails/information is just as simple as going to the website. and i'm another one of the fmr. regional board members.

http://www.nblsa.org/news/mailinglist.html

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2007, 01:26:17 AM »
i'm not trying to be offensive, but tru-one, did you ever think that  you're not getting relevant information b/c your local chapter is not passing it on?

Yeah I mentioned that.  That was the problem in my chapter.  But honestly tho, judging from the NBLSA Convention there was a serious breakdown in communication among board members and with board members tothe general body.  But yeah it's more than likely the local chapter.