Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Life as a 2L  (Read 7683 times)

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
Re: Life as a 2L
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2007, 01:51:01 PM »
are u a student member of your local bar association?

who me?  yes I was.
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2007, 02:49:06 PM »
This is all fine and dandy, but doesn't change the fact that our profession walks hand in hand with elitism.  I think it's human nature more than anything and the law just happens to be one particular stage where it is played out for others to see.  It just seems to be in our DNA as humans to want to separate "us" from "them."  Like I said, it just kinda is what it is.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2007, 04:18:15 PM »
This is all fine and dandy, but doesn't change the fact that our profession walks hand in hand with elitism.  I think it's human nature more than anything and the law just happens to be one particular stage where it is played out for others to see.  It just seems to be in our DNA as humans to want to separate "us" from "them."  Like I said, it just kinda is what it is.

surprised you of all ppl would say "it is what it is".  You tend to look out.  agreed with the us vs. them thing.  But this profession doesn't have to go hand and hand with elitism.  There's a general trend that schools insist on a pro bono requirement to graduate. 

I think the elitist attitude particularly in the black community sets us back a bit.   And if one of us makes it that we do have a duty to extend that hand back.  Plus I think a lot of LS students don't realize that extending that hand also benefits them because you never know who's watching.   
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2007, 04:52:10 PM »
Don't think that I condone the sh!t. All I'm saying is that it's been around since the "Talented Tenth" days and even before that.  Even when we finally started matriculating to all black colleges in the late 1800's/early 1900's we still had brown paper bag tests administered by us to us in order to gain admittance into the elite fraternal organizations on the yard - separating the privileged blacks from the non-privileged blacks.  Law school is the same sh!t, different third tier toilet. :P
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2007, 01:04:48 PM »
Don't think that I condone the sh!t. All I'm saying is that it's been around since the "Talented Tenth" days and even before that.  Even when we finally started matriculating to all black colleges in the late 1800's/early 1900's we still had brown paper bag tests administered by us to us in order to gain admittance into the elite fraternal organizations on the yard - separating the privileged blacks from the non-privileged blacks.  Law school is the same sh!t, different third tier toilet. :P

LOL, I know you don't condone it. Don't have to even go that far back with the paper bag test...try our parents' day. But I dunno it just seems like we see each other has competition when they're are plenty of other folk to worry 'bout.  But it was my dumb naive butt that thought the "crabs in the barrel" mentality was out the window in LS.  I experienced it as a 1L and now some of my mentees are going thru the same thing.

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2007, 08:23:17 PM »

LOL, I know you don't condone it. Don't have to even go that far back with the paper bag test...try our parents' day. But I dunno it just seems like we see each other has competition when they're are plenty of other folk to worry 'bout.  But it was my dumb naive butt that thought the "crabs in the barrel" mentality was out the window in LS.  I experienced it as a 1L and now some of my mentees are going thru the same thing.

Anytime you deal w/ Black Folx you have to worry about "crabs in the barrel". Why do you think we can't ever get anything accomplished? Because everyobdy wants to be "The One". The one special negro that made it to the top of the pile that Masta looks to when he is bestoying his good favor.

I ain't messin' w/ black folx next year. I'm gonna join the Federalist or Jewish Law Student Association. At least Dues would be paid on time!
Warning: Educated Black Man

University of Law '09

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2007, 10:09:41 AM »

Anytime you deal w/ Black Folx you have to worry about "crabs in the barrel". Why do you think we can't ever get anything accomplished? Because everyobdy wants to be "The One". The one special negro that made it to the top of the pile that Masta looks to when he is bestoying his good favor.

I ain't messin' w/ black folx next year. I'm gonna join the Federalist or Jewish Law Student Association. At least Dues would be paid on time!

LMAO.  u are a hot mess.  :D :D  But u aint never lied. Folks from APALSA had my back more than the local chapter of BLSA.  And I wasn't even a member of APALSA! I just helped 'em out a few times. The black folk- 2nd semester the real personalities came out. 

So I'm really not sure how to advise my mentees.  I don't want to discourage them but at the same time I'd rather they didn't form too many "close friendships" now in the 1st semester.  I've said just "be cool" with everyone but just know that folks may change the second semester around February/March.

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2007, 11:03:19 AM »
 I though I should clarify just in case any 0Ls/1Ls see this, I'm not speaking ill of BLSA as an organization.  Regionally and Nationally...def on point, for the most part.  But locally, left much to be desired. It's not the case at every local BLSA chapter.  Some chapters are actually really close-knit and are active in the community.  But the nature of the chapter is something that's not apparent right away.  What I am discouraging is forming "friendships" right away with ppl because you may be disappointed in the 2nd semester.   

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2007, 01:51:27 PM »
I though I should clarify just in case any 0Ls/1Ls see this, I'm not speaking ill of BLSA as an organization.  Regionally and Nationally...def on point, for the most part.  But locally, left much to be desired. It's not the case at every local BLSA chapter.  Some chapters are actually really close-knit and are active in the community.  But the nature of the chapter is something that's not apparent right away.  What I am discouraging is forming "friendships" right away with ppl because you may be disappointed in the 2nd semester.   

I though I should clarify just in case any 0Ls/1Ls see this, I REALLY AM speaking ill of BLSA as an organization. National and Regional Chapter got some issues as far as communicating information. I love my Chapter, we got our Mentor/Mentee Program and we're active on campus.

How much help do we receive from Regional or National? NONE, I wonder why we gotta pay them so much in dues.

I repeat! This is some Amway-type husslin' going on!

Next year I'm runnin' for a position on the Regional Board. Cuz we get left out of the loop on too much.
Warning: Educated Black Man

University of Law '09

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2007, 02:54:44 PM »

I though I should clarify just in case any 0Ls/1Ls see this, I REALLY AM speaking ill of BLSA as an organization. National and Regional Chapter got some issues as far as communicating information. I love my Chapter, we got our Mentor/Mentee Program and we're active on campus.

How much help do we receive from Regional or National? NONE, I wonder why we gotta pay them so much in dues.

I repeat! This is some Amway-type husslin' going on!

Next year I'm runnin' for a position on the Regional Board. Cuz we get left out of the loop on too much.

Whoa-ty!!!!  Drive slow, homie.  That's a pretty wide sweeping allegation don't ya think?

Charles H. Houston