Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Life as a 2L  (Read 7570 times)

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
Re: Life as a 2L
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2007, 04:52:32 PM »
Agreed.  But what bugs me is that we're just conforming to that.  No one is really trying to break the mold.  We all just kinda fall in line with it. 
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

t...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2007, 05:22:20 PM »
Planet Law School is the book you're thinking of, Sands.

And I think CA is the only state which allows you to sit for the bar without having a JD.
Cady on October 16, 2007, 10:41:52 PM

i rhink tyi'm inejying my fudgcicle too much

Huey on February 07, 2007, 11:15:32 PM

I went to a party in an apartment in a silo once.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2007, 05:33:50 PM »
Planet Law School is the book you're thinking of, Sands.

And I think CA is the only state which allows you to sit for the bar without having a JD.

Planet Law School is definitely one of them, but I picked this up somewhere else too.

And that's why CA has the lowest bar passage rate!

Agreed.  But what bugs me is that we're just conforming to that.  No one is really trying to break the mold.  We all just kinda fall in line with it. 

don't think there's too much that can be changed about it at this point.  it is what it is.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

jd06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2007, 05:41:17 PM »
And that's why CA has the lowest bar passage rate!

Exactly.  That little fact is almost always overlooked.  While I'm proud to have passed what many call "the toughest bar in the nation," in reality, if you check our first-time pass rates for ABA students (particularly from in-state ABA schools) we're right there w/ the rest of the country at around 70%.  And, hell, it can't be that tough -we've got about 211,000 lawyers  ;)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2007, 08:52:36 AM »

FWIW, Vermont, New York, Washington, Virginia, California, Maine, and Wyoming will let you sit for the bar without going to law school.

That's almost true for New York.  New York will allow you to sit for the bar without a JD, but you can't skip going to law school.  New York requires that if you don't have a JD, then you must have successfully completed at least one year of law school and then worked under a licensed NY attorney for an additional 3 years after the one year of law school for a total of 4 years.

So its either (i) go to law school and get the JD on the traditional 3 year path or (ii) go to law school for 1 year and work for a lawyer on the 4 year path, but either way you gotta go to law school.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2007, 11:05:20 AM »

don't think there's too much that can be changed about it at this point.  it is what it is.

Couldn't disagree more. Granted, I only went thru 1 year and am prolly still in that "idealistic" stage.  But  the cycle just continues.  How many legal mentors are there out there for 1Ls?  Not many as compared to attorneys.  And black ppl, despite the fact that all of us know that we're few in #, buy into the same elitist attitudes as the larger culture. Anyone that makes it should have 2-3 mentees.  *off the soapbox*  
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

jd06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2007, 12:29:56 PM »

Couldn't disagree more. Granted, I only went thru 1 year and am prolly still in that "idealistic" stage.  But  the cycle just continues.  How many legal mentors are there out there for 1Ls?  Not many as compared to attorneys.  And black ppl, despite the fact that all of us know that we're few in #, buy into the same elitist attitudes as the larger culture. Anyone that makes it should have 2-3 mentees.  *off the soapbox*  

I'm with you cui bono.  I think you'll be surprised when you start practicing how much influence you can have, at least on the local level.  Unfortunately, many attorneys are just "too busy" to help those following in their footsteps.  I'm currently volunteering at my alma mater as a "graduate mentor" doing what I can to help others make the most of their opportunity.  Many are people of color.  Hell, I'm a conservative white guy born and raised in Orange County and even I can see the need.  Good people like you and 'Sands do have the ability to go back and make a difference.  You really do.  That's part of what's great about being an officer of the court.  OK, that's all I'm gonna say about that.  *Off my soapbox as well*   ;)     

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2007, 12:30:50 PM »

FWIW, Vermont, New York, Washington, Virginia, California, Maine, and Wyoming will let you sit for the bar without a JD.

Fixed.

Charles H. Houston

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2007, 01:45:49 PM »

I'm with you cui bono.  I think you'll be surprised when you start practicing how much influence you can have, at least on the local level.  Unfortunately, many attorneys are just "too busy" to help those following in their footsteps.  I'm currently volunteering at my alma mater as a "graduate mentor" doing what I can to help others make the most of their opportunity.  Many are people of color.  Hell, I'm a conservative white guy born and raised in Orange County and even I can see the need.  Good people like you and 'Sands do have the ability to go back and make a difference.  You really do.  That's part of what's great about being an officer of the court.  OK, that's all I'm gonna say about that.  *Off my soapbox as well*   ;)     

Thanks  :) :). *...back on the soapbox  :D*   See my problem is also with ppl in LS not just attorneys.  A big firm down here has a mentoring program putting students with attorneys and judges -  lotta folks sign up but never show up.    But my thing is with 2Ls and 3Ls, particularly minority students, they should be looking out for the 1Ls.  At least making themselves available.  I'm so greatful for folks like Sands, SMU, etc. because w/o them I wouldn't really have anyone telling me the real deal about LS.   I just don't get it:  Because I struggled with law school, getting in & being in (particularly as a first semester 1L), is why I want to help other folks out-  they shouldn't have to struggle if I already did. Why is there not more of a "community" focus?  Some of black folks (& everyone else as well) at my school & @ others were FAR more interested in themselves than in bringing everyone up (LOL, u can tell how popular I was, huh? :D  j/k ).  Don't they get that if one black person (or other minority) benefits, we all do?!  Like if one "minority" person in my school booked a class I was happy not "hating".  Like there are things that can be done to help someone else out that you can't exactly put on a resume.  Most ppl, if you can't put it on a resume, they won't do it

*temporarily off the soapbox  ;)*

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2007, 01:46:40 PM »
are u a student member of your local bar association?
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...