Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: AA: More harm than good?  (Read 18711 times)

Ghost

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: AA: More harm than good?
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2008, 01:43:18 PM »
Just visiting some old haunts...

imdashep

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2008, 02:01:57 PM »
Ahh, the best way to offset one's own pure speculation is to accuse the other of pure speculation. Great argumentative style!

Ghost

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2008, 02:06:53 PM »
Ahh, the best way to offset one's own pure speculation is to accuse the other of pure speculation. Great argumentative style!

Ah, more empty rhetoric!

Have any proof? Anything substantive that you're relying upon?

imdashep

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2008, 02:36:53 PM »
Whoa, you keep repeating what I say, and then trying to turn the tables. That doesnt work. I'll rewind here so you can understand what the issue is. 

The point was acknowledge that a wealthy URM has an advantage over a disadvantaged ORM. The gap between these two groups is irrelevant; if there is one, why should it exist, since clearly the wealthy URM will have an advantage already by their wealth, and hence why should an AA policy further increase that? You present a hypothetical exception, or make claims about flaming. There has been a reasoned debate until you entered with the rhetoric, and frankly that doesn't it (either here or in law school, as you probably should know). Feel free to respond to the issues, rather than just spewing whatever you feel like.

Also for the record, I am fairly neutral with regard to AA, so there is no need for you to just spew venom at someone you think is not going to listen.

Ghost

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2008, 03:05:12 PM »
Whoa, you keep repeating what I say, and then trying to turn the tables. That doesnt work. I'll rewind here so you can understand what the issue is.

The point was acknowledge that a wealthy URM has an advantage over a disadvantaged ORM. The gap between these two groups is irrelevant; if there is one, why should it exist, since clearly the wealthy URM will have an advantage already by their wealth, and hence why should an AA policy further increase that? You present a hypothetical exception, or make claims about flaming. There has been a reasoned debate until you entered with the rhetoric, and frankly that doesn't it (either here or in law school, as you probably should know). Feel free to respond to the issues, rather than just spewing whatever you feel like.

Lulz @ reasoned debate.

There are threads in this forum that have "reasoned debate" in them - this is not one of them. Point in case: I posed a significant point about reference (or proof) for this debate, which has still gone unresolved. Instead the conversation turned to one of my tactics, and some other obtuse chicanery.

Again I ask: what is your conception of affirmative action, what do you suppose are the goals of an academic institution, law school, in using affirmative action? Are those goals particular to a school, or similar? Where is your proof that poor ORM doesn't receive as significant a boost as rich URM?

These are all issues that are primary to this discussion, don't you think?

Again, I understand it's easier to just harp on about hypotheticals when they have no basis in reality. Probably fun, too.

imdashep

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2008, 04:21:40 PM »
TM - I'm not overstating anything. It is the case, there have been countless examples. I know as a fact that some AA kids at my high school got into colleges that they shouldn't have numbers wise, and I assure you that wealth was not an issue.

Ghost - I haven't paid attention to this thread, so when you say again I ask, that has nothing to do with me. You have yet to respond to any point I've made, and just used your rhetoric to try to paint me in a bad light. It has failed.

Now I don't feel a need to respond to your question, since it is no something I have seen previously. I also don't care too much about debating it here, since you clearly haven't addressed my points, so why should I address your new points?

To be fair I will respond, in that I think you do ask legitimate questions.

My conception of affirmative action: Unclear what you mean, need to be more specific in question. My overall conception is that it is an idea that needs to be revised, since that impetus for installing it has significantly changed.
Goals of a law school: To keep diversity, and avoid lawsuits. Clearly no one wants (or most dont want) to go to school with everyone being exactly like them.
Proof: See above.

I agree that they are issues to the discussion, but I haven't involved myself in the overall debate, just the latter point. Your way of asking this is also hilarious.

Also I haven't harped on any hypotheticals, and you just keep prattering on about literally nothing. I'm sure you think you are very intelligent, but you need to think through things before you make your move. Anyways, I am done with this thread, feel free to PM if you have anything else to discuss.

imdashep

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2008, 04:29:16 PM »
Harping on hypotheticals? I've seen first hand wealthy URMs get into places their #s dictate they shouldn't, and know that for many places there is any way to say that you are a poorer ORM. Good grief. Ghost, I'm sure you think you are very smart with these responses, but you bring up a part of the conversation I wasn't even involved in. You say 'Again I ask'; you haven't asked me *&^%, other than keeping up this prattering rhetoric that contributes nothing. You really need to think about your responses before you post them. I am done with this thread for now, feel free to PM me if you wanna reset the conversation, but otherwise I simply don't care enough to engage in your masturbatory ranting.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2008, 12:12:43 AM »
AA, if it exists at all, should be based on socioconomic status, rather than race. A poor, inner city person, regardless of color, has many more disadvantages than a person of color, just because they are a person of color. Does it make sense that a child of a rich black ( or Hispanic) family gets a boost over a poor white person who has struggled much more in life and has actual, you know, disadvantages? There shouldn't be a boost because you are African American, Hispanic, Sioux, Siberian, French, Alien, Cyborg, or whatever. It should be based on the economic standing of the person, because that is where the real disadvantages lie.

Link?
YLS c/o 2009

imdashep

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2008, 12:59:23 AM »
Wait, so you actually don't think that a rich URM would get helped in an admissions process? Are you serious? Find me a link for that lol

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2008, 01:44:34 AM »
I'm asking for the link that shows being poor is more of a disadvantage in society than being Black.
YLS c/o 2009