Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: AA: More harm than good?  (Read 18547 times)

eastend

• View Profile
Re: AA: More harm than good?
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2008, 09:08:26 AM »
AA, if it exists at all, should be based on socioconomic status, rather than race. A poor, inner city person, regardless of color, has many more disadvantages than a person of color, just because they are a person of color. Does it make sense that a child of a rich black ( or Hispanic) family gets a boost over a poor white person who has struggled much more in life and has actual, you know, disadvantages? There shouldn't be a boost because you are African American, Hispanic, Sioux, Siberian, French, Alien, Cyborg, or whatever. It should be based on the economic standing of the person, because that is where the real disadvantages lie.

really?  so you feel like a rich black person is not at a disadvantage compared to a rich white person? 

Rich and black trumps poor and white in law school admissions?  Is that fair?

eastend

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2008, 09:19:40 AM »
AA, if it exists at all, should be based on socioconomic status, rather than race. A poor, inner city person, regardless of color, has many more disadvantages than a person of color, just because they are a person of color. Does it make sense that a child of a rich black ( or Hispanic) family gets a boost over a poor white person who has struggled much more in life and has actual, you know, disadvantages? There shouldn't be a boost because you are African American, Hispanic, Sioux, Siberian, French, Alien, Cyborg, or whatever. It should be based on the economic standing of the person, because that is where the real disadvantages lie.

really?  so you feel like a rich black person is not at a disadvantage compared to a rich white person? 

Rich and black trumps poor and white in law school admissions?  Is that fair?

you didn't answer my original question.  no cookie for you.

Dang, I need a cookie.  I'm going to get a cookie and ponder your question.  I hope you're having a great morning.

eastend

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2008, 09:34:38 AM »
Dang, I need a cookie.  I'm going to get a cookie and ponder your question.  I hope you're having a great morning.

if you give me an answer, i'll give you an answer.  and another cookie.  a good morning to you as well.

I think if you're rich, you're advantaged all the way around.  I know if you're rich you've probably had access to a great education which probably negates being a minority. 
I have a dentist appointment at 9.15, so if I'm to get a cookie, I'd need it now because I have to leave. 

imdashep

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2008, 11:46:48 AM »
So you just sort of made the point then, that it isnt fair for rich and black to trump poor and white. Yet this is what happens in a non-socio economic based system.

SteelersandGators

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2008, 12:39:27 PM »
I'm an Italian-American. My relatives have been/were discriminated against.

Question: Should I get an AA boost?
UVA Law Class of 2011

Gitmo Jones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2008, 12:50:06 PM »
I am 1/16 native american would it have been wrong to claim URM

LHL

• V
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2008, 12:54:52 PM »

I think a big part of AA includes present disadvantages, not discrimination that your parents/ancestors faced.  I could be wrong though.
I hate this limbo!

SteelersandGators

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2008, 01:03:57 PM »

I think a big part of AA includes present disadvantages, not discrimination that your parents/ancestors faced.  I could be wrong though.

You are right. But how are admissions committees able to judge who is encountering present disadvantages based off checking a box on the application?
UVA Law Class of 2011

imdashep

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2008, 01:31:23 PM »
Clearly they are not mutually exclusive, but the point is that a wealthy URM certainly isn't disadvantaged in this process, at least to the extent that it would merit being advantaged over a disadvantaged ORM. If a socio economic system ends up being mainly race based than that is fine, but it seems that poor ORMs are getting the short end of the stick. Obviously there isnt the same history that URMs have, but that would explain why a socio economic system would help the latter group more so than the former.

Ghost

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2008, 01:34:35 PM »
I think you underestimate the relative "boosts" poor ORM's and rich URM's get.

At any rate, we are all just speculating just how prevalent and significant AA is in each individual admissions office. Most of you are basing it off of an LSN profile, many of which are flame anyway.

But it feels so good to harp on about this injustice, doesn't it?