Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: AA: More harm than good?  (Read 18750 times)

eastend

• View Profile
Re: AA: More harm than good?
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2008, 10:37:04 AM »
I agree that anyone who get into HYS, URM boost or no, can make it there.  That doesn't mean this is true otherwise, especially in the lower teirs.  People could be accepted into schools way above their proficiency level and drown in the course work.  Just because that's true at the top doesn't mean that AA doesn't have the negative effect the article describes.

Ah, this old chestnut.
Yes, in theory, anyone with an LSAT score of 165 can excel at any top law school.  We see anecdotal evidence of this throughout this board.  Having said that, at HYS you are competing with the cream of the crop.  Would you rather be top of your class at Vanderbilt or bottom at Yale?  I wish more URMs would consider this.   

eastend

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2008, 10:44:33 AM »
I agree that anyone who get into HYS, URM boost or no, can make it there.  That doesn't mean this is true otherwise, especially in the lower teirs.  People could be accepted into schools way above their proficiency level and drown in the course work.  Just because that's true at the top doesn't mean that AA doesn't have the negative effect the article describes.

Ah, this old chestnut.
Yes, in theory, anyone with an LSAT score of 165 can excel at any top law school.  We see anecdotal evidence of this throughout this board.  Having said that, at HYS you are competing with the cream of the crop.  Would you rather be top of your class at Vanderbilt or bottom at Yale?  I wish more URMs would consider this.   

without addressing your general argument, i'd like to point out that your illustration does not support that argument.  bottom of class at yale >>> top of class at vanderbilt.

Sometimes people use exaggeration for emphasis.  Before you ask, this isn't based on scientific study nor am I generalizing based on a limited data set?

eastend

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2008, 10:48:54 AM »
Sometimes people use exaggeration for emphasis.

some do this better than others.

You've done a scientific study on this or are you just generalizing based on a limited data set?

eastend

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2008, 11:05:26 AM »
That took a while.  Do you think it was worth the wait?

Only if my thesis ends up getting published.  So probably not.

I have laundry to do.  Enjoy your day, sweetie.

just some guy

• Sr. Citizen
  • WARNING: May Contain Troll or Flame-like Substance
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2008, 11:43:49 AM »
Sometimes people use exaggeration for emphasis.

some do this better than others.

I still think Seton Hall should change its name to Princeton.
I have courted the fire for a very long time, and many sparks have flown in the past, but [this post] speaks, finally, the language of the flame itself.
with apologies to Keith Jarret

Prestjesus

• GPA: 3.6 Evangelical Studies, LSAT: 173 Praise God
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2008, 01:24:15 PM »

See this is exactly why AA works, and we should not be discouraged by it, it just takes time. You see there was a point in history where only white men could attend law schools. Then came AA. And we had to let women in. They got used to working hard, competing with men, and eventually some even graduated near the top of their class. With the advent of prepping for months the LSAT it made it easier for women to get in if they worked hard enough and eventually AA for them ceased.

Now we come to the point that most law schools have more women than men. This is close to the society as whole demographics wise. Yet, this poster still knows her place. AA is letting her go to law school, even a good one, but she has not shirked her womanly duties in the mean time. Sheís still doing her man,s laundry. Same with minorities, eventually they will make up a percentage of the demographics of law school equal to society the same as women. While I think you could argue the legal profession certainly has diminished since AA for women, itís not the end of the world. Itís not like they get paid the same overall or make partner very often, thank god. But we gave them a shot and now they have more choice than just marrying a lawyer they can actually try out at being one till they get board and have babies!
No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."

--George Herbert Walker Bush, Former U. S. President, 1988.

armada

• Sr. Citizen
  • I have people to go and places to see!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2008, 04:09:50 PM »

See this is exactly why AA works, and we should not be discouraged by it, it just takes time. You see there was a point in history where only white men could attend law schools. Then came AA. And we had to let women in. They got used to working hard, competing with men, and eventually some even graduated near the top of their class. With the advent of prepping for months the LSAT it made it easier for women to get in if they worked hard enough and eventually AA for them ceased.

Now we come to the point that most law schools have more women than men. This is close to the society as whole demographics wise. Yet, this poster still knows her place. AA is letting her go to law school, even a good one, but she has not shirked her womanly duties in the mean time. Sheís still doing her man,s laundry. Same with minorities, eventually they will make up a percentage of the demographics of law school equal to society the same as women. While I think you could argue the legal profession certainly has diminished since AA for women, itís not the end of the world. Itís not like they get paid the same overall or make partner very often, thank god. But we gave them a shot and now they have more choice than just marrying a lawyer they can actually try out at being one till they get board and have babies!

Hmm...you're funny. I laughed.l

calhata

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2008, 06:35:56 PM »

mofo that was the *&^%.  I wish I could get one of these bitches up my crib to do some f-ing laundry.  Yea keep em barefoot and pregnant. 

Billy Mays here FOREVER!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2008, 08:32:38 AM »
AA, if it exists at all, should be based on socioconomic status, rather than race. A poor, inner city person, regardless of color, has many more disadvantages than a person of color, just because they are a person of color. Does it make sense that a child of a rich black ( or Hispanic) family gets a boost over a poor white person who has struggled much more in life and has actual, you know, disadvantages? There shouldn't be a boost because you are African American, Hispanic, Sioux, Siberian, French, Alien, Cyborg, or whatever. It should be based on the economic standing of the person, because that is where the real disadvantages lie.

Matthew

• Sr. Citizen
  • Formerly known as /\_-=-M-=-_/\
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2008, 09:02:28 AM »
AA, if it exists at all, should be based on socioconomic status, rather than race. A poor, inner city person, regardless of color, has many more disadvantages than a person of color, just because they are a person of color. Does it make sense that a child of a rich black ( or Hispanic) family gets a boost over a poor white person who has struggled much more in life and has actual, you know, disadvantages? There shouldn't be a boost because you are African American, Hispanic, Sioux, Siberian, French, Alien, Cyborg, or whatever. It should be based on the economic standing of the person, because that is where the real disadvantages lie.

really?  so you feel like a rich black person is not at a disadvantage compared to a rich white person? 

It depends who has more money.  The real problem is the widening gap between the rich and the super-rich: http://youtube.com/watch?v=TQt2cyzsHYg
Cycle finally finished!

170/3.82
Accepted: Michigan($$), UCLA, Virginia($$), Duke($$), Georgetown, Vanderbilt($$$), Notre Dame($$$), William & Mary($$$)
Deferred: Northwestern
Waitlisted: Penn ($$)
Rejected: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago