Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chances of $$ from DC area schools?  (Read 706 times)

jvcv

• View Profile
Chances of $$ from DC area schools?
« on: August 26, 2007, 02:16:36 PM »
3.65/165, plus a 3.8 Master's degree if that makes any difference...

Any chance of large scholarships from any of the DC schools?

Eveman in Ingmarland

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Chances of $$ from DC area schools?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 02:20:17 PM »
GW might be a good fit... they offer an ED full-ride scholarship program which might be worth looking into, assuming you are absolutely committed to attending a school in DC.

Assuming you're somewhat flexible, though, I'd of course recommend applying to a plethora of schools.

Imperial Russian Stout!

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Evil Stork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 05:37:58 PM »
American should offer something nice.

GW might.

Georgetown, no.

SWATJester

• http://wikilaw.blogspot.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacSimSWATJester
    • View Profile
    • May It Please The Court -- A guide for 1L's and aspiring law students.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 06:52:02 PM »
American should offer something nice.

GW might.

Georgetown, no.

TBH American has a kinda limited scholarship supply. Except for the PILRAP 100% loan repayment deal, which is siiiiick.
Are you a 1L or aspiring law student? You need to read this!
http://wikilaw.blogspot.com
A guide for 1L's and law students-to-be written by a 1L at American University Washington College of Law.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 08:42:09 PM »
GW is barely a target school with those numbers.  Unless there's substantially more to your application than numbers, don't count on any money.

PIPS scholarship at American would be the only real large scholarship in DC area.

jvcv

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 11:20:57 PM »
GW is barely a target school with those numbers.  Unless there's substantially more to your application than numbers, don't count on any money.

I have 6 yrs of work experience where I have had many leadership opportunities and am 25% Mexican (never quite sure which box to check - I was significantly influenced growing up by my Mexican grandfather, but am also 75% Caucasian, so still not quite sure where that puts me).  Is that "substantially more"?  Who knows....

Eveman in Ingmarland

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 11:33:25 PM »

PIPS scholarship at American would be the only real large scholarship in DC area.

"barely a target school"?

Wow.

Well, for all of our sakes lets hope you make a better lawyer than academic adviser.

Anyway, OP, don't let your decision making process get contaminated by this sort of made-up crap. Judging by this, you're pretty much auto-admit at GW:

http://www.law.gwu.edu/Admissions/JD+Admissions/profile.htm

As for scholarship dollars, it's hard to say of course because I'm not sure what percentage of GW's merit money is going into the binding ED/full-ride deal. But from a quick glance around LSN, it looks like people with numbers close to yours got some decent packages in past cycles.

obbear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 08:27:07 AM »

Judging by this, you're pretty much auto-admit at GW:

http://www.law.gwu.edu/Admissions/JD+Admissions/profile.htm

I think the OP's profile box vastly overstates the probability of admission (based on numbers alone), b/c the OP is at the very bottom of its LSAT range.  And the box directly below (LSAT 160-4; same GPA) is worrying:  133/985.  Admission chances seem pretty sensitive to one's precise LSAT score in this range.

LSAC's calculator puts the OP's odds at about 50/50, softs aside.  That sits pretty well with the profile data, and with vaplaugh's assessment, assuming non-URM for the moment.

jvcv

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 05:26:32 PM »
URM status and work experience gives you a better than 50% chance of acceptance, and you would probably have a decent shot at Georgetown, but I'd still be skeptical regarding a large scholarship from GW.  Are you looking for a large scholarship because you plan to enter a lower-paying field such as government or public interest?  With 6 years WE (and of course, your great numbers), you'd be a good candidate for the PIPS.

Already have lots of debt from my spouse's grad work and as much as we enjoy the DC area and would like to live there while I'm in school, with the high cost of living, etc. DC is really only an option with minimal tuition costs. 

Do you think that with the new GW ED program it will limit the $$ available in the regular admissions process?  (Not that I necessarily would get any of it anyway...)  I'm also not sure that I'm interested in a big firm job, so I don't want to be in the position of needing to have a high paying job at graduation just to pay the loans.  We already went through that once with my spouse.