Law School Discussion

"Resume recommended" on Columbia application?

Re: "Resume recommended" on Columbia application?
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 03:51:35 PM »

Point taken.

I suppose that do to yield protection/random ad com fickleness/the glut of qualified applicants it's not really fair to refer any top 5 program as a safety. Also, there isn't technically anything to be gained by doing so. After all, a safety is supposed to be a school you can attend should all else fail, so unless the OP is only applying to HYS and Columbia (in which case the OP is very dumb), the term just isn't applicable.
I certainly don't regard it as my safety, as I am applying to Berkeley (which is definitely never a safety), Duke, Georgetown, and maybe UCLA as well. My only point in mentioning that my numbers were above the range was that it may change the strategy. For example, the default at Yale is rejection, so it might be worthwhile to have a more risky, attention-grabbing application, since you can only gain (for example, writing a more controversial essay). On the other hand, if the default is acceptance, you would be more concerned about avoiding anything that would get you rejected and play it safer. How the resume plays into it is not so clear, but perhaps being the one person not to submit a resume might make me stand out and give more reason to reject. If it was Yale that had the option, hypothetically, that might be my only chance, on the other hand. If they actually see my terrible resume, there'd be 0% chance, while if I didn't, there'd be the 1% chance they'd think, "Well, we'll assume it's pretty average and judge based on that."

Brito

• AOL Instant Messenger - ViolaLovesMusic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007, 03:56:29 PM »
Interesting.  I think I could fill at least half a page with that stuff, though.  Just describe your "jobs" thoroughly, using a bullet point for each sentence.  :D

Yeah... use wide margins and lots of space between sections.

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2007, 04:05:10 PM »
Interesting.  I think I could fill at least half a page with that stuff, though.  Just describe your "jobs" thoroughly, using a bullet point for each sentence.  :D

Yeah... use wide margins and lots of space between sections.

And pictures. Like these:

Everyone likes pictures!

Brito

• AOL Instant Messenger - ViolaLovesMusic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2007, 04:10:04 PM »

Everyone likes pictures!

So true!  I would also recommend including a URL to your own online multimedia resume.  You can put it on MySpace.  Music is great!

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2007, 04:24:50 PM »

Everyone likes pictures!

So true!  I would also recommend including a URL to your own online multimedia resume.  You can put it on MySpace.  Music is great!

Good call on MySpace. And maybe instead of a boring old paper-and-ink resume, the OP could submit a tasteful diorama. That way his/her creativity would really shine through!

ManTGeo

• HLS 2012!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2007, 04:33:47 PM »
Good call on MySpace. And maybe instead of a boring old paper-and-ink resume, the OP could submit a tasteful diorama. That way his/her creativity would really shine through!

Or even a video of the OP and their friends acting out their education, jobs, extracurrics, etc.

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2007, 04:46:40 PM »
Would a bag of money be too impersonal?

rtqw

• Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2007, 04:49:28 PM »
Would a bag of money be too impersonal?

As long as the bag had a large '$' on the side, that would be fine.

PNym

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2007, 07:22:45 PM »

Or even a video of the OP and their friends acting out their education, jobs, extracurrics, etc.

What always works is an interpretive dance. Can't go wrong with an interpretive dance.