Law School Discussion

"Why law" component question

"Why law" component question
« on: August 25, 2007, 09:39:40 PM »
I'm a non-traditional student (single mom, three small children).  The essay I have so far focuses on how one of my twins was born with physical challenges, and how by watching him doggedly struggle to do what other kids take for granted I was inspired to ditch my alcoholic, abusive husband and try to make a better life for my kids. 

My main reasons for choosing Law are not the usual lofty ones of wanting to make the world a better place, get the bad guys, etc. etc.  I feel simply that it is a rewarding career that will help me support my children - and one that will give them a good example to follow when it is time for them to choose careers of their own.

I am worried that this sounds too selfish and mommy-y;-).  At the same time, I really cannot make something up about wanting to protect the universe from evildoers, when it's going to be all about survival for me the next 10 or 15 years.

Neither of the schools I'm applying to have any guidelines for the PS.

Any advice?  I am thinking about putting something in there about how attached I am to our small community, and how I would like to be able to use my degree to enrich...but you see, my B.S. meter goes off on myself.  I can't stand that kind of writing.  Is my honesty going to hurt me here?  lol!

Lisa

saradsun

• Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: "Why law" component question
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 10:25:08 PM »
everything I've read says go with honesty, not b.s. They read this stuff all day long during application months. They can smell it a mile away. My PS is going to be filled with mommy stuff too.

Also, I'll be touching on ditching my abusive and adulterous husband while having 3 small kids :). Granted, that was 9 years ago now.

Cabra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 11:47:00 PM »
there's got to be a reason why you chose law as opposed to some other profession like accountant or businessperson. you said it would be a rewarding career--why would it be more rewarding than something else?

Do you think you would be good at it? Do you enjoy language? Interpreting ideas and events? I dunno...law schools don't want you to pretend that you'll save the world.
But you could probably honestly talk about how your life experience has inspired a sense of ethics and/or justice that attracts you to the legal profession, that you like the nature of the work and that you wish to be a good provider and good example for your children.

You don't need much more than that.

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 10:50:19 AM »
Thanks guys.

As I suspected, there is a weakness in my essay - -  I need to expand a little more on why I chose Law over, say, particle physics (aside from the fact my math skills stop at long division).  If I had 8 pages it would be no problem, but this is like a %^$#^&%$ haiku!

I'm going back to the drawing board.  Thanks again for the helpful comments.

Lisa

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 12:29:40 PM »
Your essay actually sounds very UNselfish to me. Even so, the personal statement is suppossed to be about you and you who are. Sounds like you will have a really original interesting one which is great.

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 02:20:11 PM »
Thanks, Anya.

Ack, I've been working on this all weekend (thank goodness for nearby grandpas), and it is killing me.  Hate. it.

I've taken out a lot of hallmarky stuff about my son's triumphs, which are wonderful, but probably not necessary.  Put in some stuff about my relatively good experience with custody hearings, etc. and a little domestic violence story which I hate to put in bc of pride, but you know - it happened, and I can work the whole, well I'd like to help others in that situation angle (and that is NOT BS, lol).  GAWD, this is agony.

I don't know why I'm even bothering.  I'm kind of a shoe-in for McGeorge, and probably will never get into Davis (and those are my two choices, bc when you have kids and are divorced you cannot move)...So I should probably just write "all work and no play makes jack a dull boy" 1000X and send it in;-).

Thanks again for taking the time.

Lisa